Day 5 hunting field across the street- a few more large cents

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Invited UnEarthed72 to hunt the hay field across the street from my house.
The pickings are getting slimmer, but I found 2 large cents and UnEarthed72 found 1 (his first)
bringing the total to 10 large cents (2 were Canadian :P) and a flying eagle penny found in the last 5 hunts here :o
Large cents found today-
DSC01206.JPG
DSC01208.JPG
The best condition copper I have dug from this field :)

Dateless, holed Matron head, looks like the modified head (1837-39)
DSC01203.JPG
DSC01205.JPG
Here is the impression it left :-\
DSC01200.JPG

And here is a whatsit
Any ideas ??? back has lead on it
DSC01202.JPG

UnEarthed72 should be posting his finds soon, I believe he found a musket or pistol ball as well
HH,
Donny

Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Donny, you have been excavating those coppas like there is no tomorrow. Have you found any buttons at this site, which are usually in abundance at early dwellings?

Kyle

OP
OP
djabend

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
Colonial Zoyboy said:
Donny, you have been excavating those coppas like there is no tomorrow. Have you found any buttons at this site, which are usually in abundance at early dwellings?

Kyle

Nope no buttons, but then it is not a dwelling. Not sure why the large cents are scattered around the perimeter of the well like that.
Perhaps they had a picnic?

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
djabend said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:

Kyle

Nope no buttons, but then it is not a dwelling. Not sure why the large cents are scattered around the perimeter of the well like that.
Perhaps they had a picnic?

It could have been some kind of wishing well, Donny. ???

Kyle

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG. That first one is great. I have not found one as of yet. HH

OP
OP
djabend

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys,
Once I finish up this field I am going to see if I can get permission to hunt the yard of the owners property not far away.
Should be some keeper there too :)
HH,
Donny

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Yea it was a pretty fun day of hunting,thanks to Donny for putting me on my 1st copper(1843 Large cent) i had a lasting smile after that..I also ended up with a musket or pistol ball not sure until someone helps in the I.D. after i post pics(which will happen asap)..

lastly I found a straight blade knife with alot of electrical tape on a handle i believe to be antler of some sort(gotta unwrap bout 2 miles of tape first)

got a new comp. and digital camera and it's taking some time trying to master the both of them

will post my finds soon,thinking back maybe i should of had Donny photo them and post em :)

HH
Shawn

OP
OP
djabend

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
UnEarthed72 said:
Yea it was a pretty fun day of hunting,thanks to Donny for putting me on my 1st copper(1843 Large cent) i had a lasting smile after that..I also ended up with a musket or pistol ball not sure until someone helps in the I.D. after i post pics(which will happen asap)..

lastly I found a straight blade knife with alot of electrical tape on a handle i believe to be antler of some sort(gotta unwrap bout 2 miles of tape first)

got a new comp. and digital camera and it's taking some time trying to master the both of them

will post my finds soon,thinking back maybe i should of had Donny photo them and post em :)

HH
Shawn
Glad you had fun and it was a great first group hunt of 08. Keep a look out in Best Finds. As soon as I wrap this hay field up I will be posting the totals there.
I should have taken some pics of your finds, hope you get it figured out, call me if you can't.
HH,
Donny

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Zoyboy said:
It could have been some kind of wishing well, Donny. ???

Kyle

Or a public horse-watering well by the roadside. :thumbsup:

Either way, that's been one HELL of a site for you! Excellent recoveries. And congratulations to UnEarthed on the LC. The second one is always much easier to find than the first.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread