Day didnt go as planned but I found an interesting lock.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day didn't go as planned but I found an interesting lock.

Tuesdays are my day off so I had planned to wake up around 9am and hit the park I have been at for the last two days. Grid it methodically and more importantly, all day. I figured I am finally in an older area as I found a wheatie and Merc yesterday, compared to the modern coins (but two silver rings) two days ago.

Well, getting out of work at 4am instead of 1am started my problems. I woke up a little after noon. Then I had to wait three hours to let someone in to my house. They were supposed to be at my house at 1, and didn't get there until 3:45. That left me very little time to hunt since I had to pick up my dogs from the groomers at 5:30.

So, basically, my all day hunt turned into a one hour hunt. BOOOOO. By the time I got to the park, about a million kiddies were playing all around the area where I found the older coins.

Wandering around though, I managed just some clad, I believe a door latch which I like because it says "USA MADE" on it, and the fairly ornate lock. The front and back of the lock are the same design. I don't see any markings on it nor do I see a place for a key.

Quick googling leads me to think *maybe* E.T. Fraim, simply because they have similar designs and overall appearances.

I am certainly not an expert in locks so if anyone could steer me in the right direction to do some research or maybe how to clean it better, I would be grateful.

Thanks all for looking. Happy hunting and enjoy the day!

-Jay

061615a.jpg 061615b.jpg 061615c.jpg 061615d.jpg

Upvote 11

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a cool lock, looks to be early too maybe from the 1930's. :thumbsup:

Dave

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! It's ironic you got a lock and key that don't go together.
Great hunt tho!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! It's ironic you got a lock and key that don't go together.
Great hunt tho!

Don't think for a second I didn't try!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that lock is a real one...
and yes they copied it...
that is a killer find...

I have same one with differ pattern... I know what it is but cannot remember what "type" etc... right now
will look tomorrow ...
Will take a pick of mine as well and post.

IF I remember :P heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is pattern I have... this is from net.

ITs an Art deco lock.

imagesQUFEKLEL.jpg

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool lock, looks to be early too maybe from the 1930's. :thumbsup:

Dave

I'd agree. The ones I have seen of similar design seem to be late 1800s/early 1900s. There could be components to the the overall design that say otherwise though because, again, I don't know anything about locks.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that lock is a real one...
and yes they copied it...
that is a killer find...

I have same one with differ pattern... I know what it is but cannot remember what "type" etc... right now
will look tomorrow ...
Will take a pick of mine as well and post.

IF I remember :P heh

Well this certainly has me intrigued! I look forward to more information. Thank you.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool lock, that will display nicely. :thumbsup: You at least got out for an hour more than me.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool lock, that will display nicely. :thumbsup: You at least got out for an hour more than me.

If I were on the roll you are on, L-D, I would be camped out at the site!

As an aside, the key hole for the lock is, not surprisingly, exactly where a key hole should be. It was just perfectly packed in and smoothed off that the toothbrush went right over it.

061615e.jpg

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know anything about your lock, but it sure is a neat looking one.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The padlock is a "Snowflake" pattern - might help in mfg. ID and age.

Thanks for the lead. I found the exact same one an antique lock site. It did not give me any information as to the date or maker, but it did sell for $21.58 without a key. Not that I sell anything (or have found anything worth selling) but at least I can subtract that amount from the "break even" point of my hobby(ies)! Cheers and happy hunting!

Last edited:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding locks! The older ones ,pre-1940, have some nice character:occasion14:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread