Dayton area Tot Lots yields ring plus clad -Cold Out (Closeups added)

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was cold (27 degrees F) and sunny here in southwestern Ohio today. Got out for 3 hrs only. Cheeks freezing but sun felt nice.

Hit a volleyball court but too hard to dig in frozen sand but found key ring. Will try to return via Kroger's. Decided to hit 3 tot lots since school is off today for holiday. Surely wood chips will be easy digging-hah! We could only dig 1" down even in wood chips. Frustrating--good hits but couldn't dig. Shovel just clanked on chips.

Ring is .925 silver but may be costume jewelry-not sure. Will check. Hope not.

It was so cold that hunt partner BuckeyeTreasureHunter broke a penny in half getting it out of frozen ground.

Qtr -8
Dimes -2
Nickels - 2
Pennies -8
Ring - 1 Diamond-like
Pulltabs - minimal--I hate PT

M-6 Ring VDI was +78, thought it was a dime.
Had to lower my sensitivity to hunt around metal posts in tot lots but it paid off.

BuckeyeTreasureHunter also got a small kid's ring--with diamond chip--and 1 silver ear ring. Both were from a sand pit--on his first swing!

DCP_0788.jpg
DCP_0791.jpg

Attachments

• DCP_0780.jpg
    DCP_0780.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 655
  • DCP_0785.jpg
    DCP_0785.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 608
  • DCP_0784.jpg
    DCP_0784.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 608
Upvote 0

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Re: Dayton area Tot Lots yields ring plus clad -Cold Out

congrats on ring and other finds, yea the mulch was pretty frozen down here too little more than inch though
hh
dave+bobbie

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Good for you, I haven't been able to drag myself out this winter. I think I'm a fair weather detectorist. ;D
Even if the ring's not diamond it's still nice to look at.

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)

I feel your pain...
Went to the beach yesterday, and the water was down, giving me about 20 feet more of bank than normal. I have been about two feet in the water here and that's where Ifound my first ring and a few dollars in clad. Now all of that unexplored swimming area is dry (it's a lake beach, controlled by dam) and I finally got to hunt it...tons of good solid silver hits, lots of clad hits and a few that I want to beleive are not pull tabs, but rings instead. Only problem with this hunt is, the sand was as hard as concrete!!! All of those signals, and I still couldn't dig any lower than the same beach line I had hunted previously. Only ended up with 16 cents in clad, and an old hoop earing...rusted of course.

~Tom

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ashleysflyr said:
I feel your pain...
Went to the beach yesterday, and the water was down, giving me about 20 feet more of bank than normal. I have been about two feet in the water here and that's where Ifound my first ring and a few dollars in clad. Now all of that unexplored swimming area is dry (it's a lake beach, controlled by dam) and I finally got to hunt it...tons of good solid silver hits, lots of clad hits and a few that I want to beleive are not pull tabs, but rings instead. Only problem with this hunt is, the sand was as hard as concrete!!! All of those signals, and I still couldn't dig any lower than the same beach line I had hunted previously. Only ended up with 16 cents in clad, and an old hoop earing...rusted of course.

~Tom

Home Depot rents out jack hammers...lol.

1960texan

Dec 6, 2007
Texas

It was so cold that hunt partner BuckeyeTreasureHunter broke a penny in half getting it out of frozen ground.

That's dedication!

1960Texan

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually considered getting a blow torch. It would melt the snow and ice quickly, and it also wouldn't be long before the park police would be giving me some special silver bracelets...

The ring is nice and makes it worth it!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did great...heck, I have yet to find a really good ring...only a toe ring ( yuck) and a junk ring...more yuck... but we keep on plugging and keep on digging..I hit the bay today, cripes it was frigid...lasted only an hour... came home with fishing weights.lol and a glass bat..go figure... so you did great in my book.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
That's a nice ring indeed, I wish I would had found it, well done. I would rather hunt in the cold than in heat anyday. I just make sure I have winter golves to and socks to heep the finger and toes happy.

HH

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Hi Terry

Too cold for me out there. i tried digging today but the ground is still frozen.

Nice finds and congrats on being so determined!!!

HH

Sanat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread