Daytona Beach question

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Frozen guy here in Michigan with a question about FL. ;D My wife and I are considering purchasing a condo in Daytona Beach. I was hoping to chat with someone from that area about metal detecting the beaches and the Daytona area in general. We're going to visit next month to check it out for ourselves, but any information would be appreciated,

Thanks, Ian

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
Hey Ian,
I have lived in Florida since 89 but from New Jersey.
Been on vacations all over Florida from west to east coast
to the keys...
When I was married we would go to Daytona at least once a year
because my kids all surfed and theres no waves here on the
west coast..
If i were you I would vacation in a few different areas in Florida before
buying in Daytona .
You might find an area you like better..
Try Long Boat Key - it's one of the nicest places I've vacationed..
It all depends what you like - some places are More tropical than others.
Daytona to me is like the Jersey shore....
Bill

Burning Metal

Dec 6, 2008
Tampa Bay area Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hello...I just move down to the West coast of Florida 2 months ago from New Jersey. I lived down here for over 20 years when I was younger and I absolutely LOVE it here! I've been all over the state and like the West coast of Fla. MUCH better then the East coast. In my opinion the beaches are much nicer over here, especially between about Clearwater and about Ft. Myers. I absolutely LOVE the Gulf of Mexico...beautiful warm water in the spring and summer. Anyway, sorry I couldn't help you out about Daytona..I don't really know much about that area. I did live in Jacksonville for awhile and my favorite town on the East Coast is St. Augustine...

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
I agree with you Burning Metal
West coast is nicer..
I'm in Tarpon Springs...
The farther south you go the nicer it gets
more tropical that is....
I do miss the woods up north though.
Just swamps, spiders and mosquito's here..
Bill

RWLewis2nd

May 30, 2005
Palm Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, White's MXT, White's Coinmaster 6000/D
Hi Ian,

Although I live in Palm Coast (33 miles north of Daytona Beach), I have worked for Daytona Beach Shores PD for the last twenty years, retiring two weeks ago, and I know Daytona Beach VERY well. I agree with everything everyone has posted above, but Daytona Beach has been in redevelopment the last several years and is much better than what it was in the 1980's and 1990's. If I was going to buy a condo in the Daytona area, I personally would buy one in Daytona Beach Shores. Daytona Beach Shores is a separate city on the beachside, immediately south of Daytona Beach. The beaches are a bit nicer, as are the condos with quite a few new ones just being built. You didn't say if you were buying a condo outright or if you are buying a timeshare. If you are buying one outright, take a close look at the yearly taxes. Depending on the condo value, some owners are paying $7000.00 a year or more in property taxes for a three bedroom condo. You will definitely pay to live on the beach. To give you an example, I own a seven bedroom home with an in ground pool that was built in 1989, one mile west of the beach in Palm Coast, and my property taxes for 2009 are $1900.00. Triple or quadruple the taxes if I lived beachside here. Also, monthly maintenance fees can be high, depending on the condo. You are, however, in a great bargaining postion as condos here are definitely not selling the way they were for the last several years. Condo prices have fallen drastically, and they are crying for buyers. If you do decide to buy here, contact Doug Cook of Cook Development in Daytona Beach Shores and tell him Sergeant Lewis, Daytona Beach Shores Public Safety, sent you. I know Doug fairly well, and he will definitely work a deal for you. And no, I don't get a commission!

As far as metal detecting on the beaches, there are no restrictions that I am aware of and you are free to detect away at your pleasure.

If I can be of any more help, ask away!

P.S. I am from South Haven, Michigan, and want to move back your way eventually.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some advice, for what's it's worth, from a Florida native....look at a few other places than Daytona! (spring break, bike week, cars on the beach, traffic, hookers, over commercialized)

There are some beautiful places along the Treasure Coast, in St Lucie, Martin and Palm Beach counties and more wonderful places along the southern gulf coast.

And for folks from Daytona that like it there, please don't razz me too bad. ;D

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the general tone of this thread. If I were going to buy a condo on the beach, Daytona would only be on my list if I ALSO liked motorcycles and NASCAR racing. Otherwise, there are many nicer areas. I have started to prefer the spots that are a little further off the beaten path.

Jack

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I live in New Smyrna Beach 15 miles south of Daytona and I can honestly say.... I hate Daytona!!!If I had a chance, I would move to the west coast of Florida

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt both the East Coast and the West Coast. There are some points that have not been mentioned.

Advantages to West Coast:

Surf is a lot rougher on the East coast then the West coast. You will find a lot more little or no surf days on the West coast then the East coast.

It is a whole lot easer to recover a target when you not constantly fighting the surf, or trying to get back to the spot you had the tone after a wave has turned you head over heels or shoved you 3 foot off target.

Water is a lot warmer on the Gulf side then the Atlantic side.

Advantages to the East Coast:

You can park on the beach for $5 a day and it makes changing coils, taking food or drink breaks or repairing equipment a lot easier.

There are more food and drink trucks on Daytona Beach

Nor-Easterns open up the beaches more.

Better chance to recover older coins. Lots of silver is found in the Daytona area after a good storm. ( We need a storm bad now, Daytona is sanded in really bad.)

The plaza hotel sits on the location of the first hotel built in the Daytona area, it was built in the lat 1880's I believe.

Lot more people reseeding the beach durning beach week, and especially spring break. Not so much during Bike week.......

I love hunting Daytona Beach area between Memorial Day and Labor Day if it is not sanded in, the concentration of people in a 3 mile streach makes for lots of targets; and I love hunting the West coast the rest of the year.

South Florida is the location I would choose if I could.................Lot more rich people with lots of jewelry to lose. Look at all the jewelry posted from South Florida...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread