DD coil on a GTI 2500

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Garrett GTI2500, GTA 500 Ultra, Garrett Propointer
I spent about 2 hours today in the local park using the 8 1/2 x 11 DD coil on my GTI 2500. No great or amazing finds, but I did reach a few conclusions.

1. It does give better target separation. I was able to find a couple of coins that would have been completely masked using the standard coil.

2. The lighter weight makes it easier for arthritic joints to swing the detector. I use a swing-thing to hold the detector, and the lighter weight meant that I had to push against the bungee cord to keep it at a constant height.

3. I missed the imaging feature! This park has a lot of pull tabs and without imaging I just didn't dig any targets that fell in the pull-tab range. I did dig some larger junk items that I wouldn't have with the stock coil.

4. I think the place for this coil is when hunting an old site that doesn't have the aluminum trash. For yards and parks I am going to stay with the stock imaging coils.

Someone with more experience using the 2500 may have different opinions. If so I will be happy to listen and learn.

Charles

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have got all the coils for the GTI2500 including the large DD excelerator coil and the smaller one. I love the imaging coils but the DD pick up alot of stuff the other miss and gets better seperation as well. I dig all repeatable signals anyway. When I get on a hot site I use every coil i have numerous times until I'm satisfied I've hit it hard and all signals are gone. You can't go wrong going over a productive site numerous times with multiple coils. Been pounding 1 farm now for a good 3 weeks 4-5 times a week, Found great stuff with every single coil on own on it. The DD does get better seperation but the smaller coils seem to get alot of the shallower stuff the larger coils miss more often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread