DD coil pinpointing

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading some discussion about coils in a thread and wanted to start one on pinpointing with a concentric coil versus the DD coil. I have only recently started working with the V3i after many years of using a 5900, Spectrum and then an XLT. I was very accustomed to the pinpointing accuracy of the concentric coil design.

It has taken me a bit of learning now with the V3i and it's coil design but I think I am getting better at narrowing the target down. What I do is raise the coil up about 6-8 inches above the ground and that makes the pinpointing zone shrink down a bit and gets me on target faster. Has anyone else tried this yet and if so, how's it working for ya?

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I have never heard of that method.... I pinpoint with my V3i just by using the middle of the coil as a guide.. I have gotten very good at it... it is WAY different than the XLT though!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each his own. However you can learn a lot by using the Minelab Wiggle.

When you get a tone of a target with that DD coil, slowly move the coil from side to side while slowly pulling the coil toward you. When the signal stops, slowly slide the coil forward with it on the ground and when you again hear the tone the target is just off the tip of the coil. Forget the X'ing as that is for concentric coils.

Attachments

• Double-D.jpg
    Double-D.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 378
  • Double-D.jpg
    Double-D.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 410

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread