jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Nox 800, Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello tnet! I have a ace 250 with the standard coil that it came with. I'm interested in buying a DD searchcoil but I was wondering if its worth it? If anyone has experience in upgrading a coil on the 250 I would love to hear your input. There is the 8.5x11 and the 5x8 sizes, which would be more effective? Also the 5x8 says it is submersible while the 8.5x11 doesn't mention being able to submerge it. Are both submersible? Thanks!

jollyone

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the 4.5 inch sniper coil and have never taken it off. I hunt parks mostly but use it now for everything since it is so easy to pinpoint and use around all objects

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the super sniper coil and its garbage i can dig more nails in 50 mins with it then the entire summer with the stock dd coil...and yes the dd coil is water proof and worth the money

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello tnet! I have a ace 250 with the standard coil that it came with. I'm interested in buying a DD searchcoil but I was wondering if its worth it? If anyone has experience in upgrading a coil on the 250 I would love to hear your input. There is the 8.5x11 and the 5x8 sizes, which would be more effective? Also the 5x8 says it is submersible while the 8.5x11 doesn't mention being able to submerge it. Are both submersible? Thanks!

A 5x8 dd works well in moderately trashy places like parks and such but for the 250 , thats a tough call. A dd would give you better target separation. The problem being, if you plan on upgrading your MD, some "next step" machines come with a DD coil. It really depends on where you plan on swinging the most and if you plan on upgrading in the near future.

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both the 5x8 DD and the 8.5x11 DD coils for my ACE 250. Both are great. I use the 5x8 in tot lots and the 8.5x11 in larger wide open spaces. Both are submersible. Ron.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too use the Sniper, and nothing else...Love that coil..I do mostly parks,and abandodned homes...

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys use the coil covers?

hondapartshero

Jan 9, 2013
Yep bought one for each one. It's a must for the beach with shells but pretty much is beneficial anywhere else.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 4.5 Sniper, and the 8.5x11 DD,for my Ace 350. How much depth is given up with the sniper coil. Also Have both DD coils for my AT Pro, do I need the Super Sniper for this machine? Will the 350 with the Sniper coil be, just as effective as the Pro with the Super Sniper? Coil covers on everything, coils are expensive!

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 4.5 Sniper, and the 8.5x11 DD,for my Ace 350. How much depth is given up with the sniper coil. Also Have both DD coils for my AT Pro, do I need the Super Sniper for this machine? Will the 350 with the Sniper coil be, just as effective as the Pro with the Super Sniper? Coil covers on everything, coils are expensive!

If you already have the Sniper on your 350 you should be fine.
The 5x8 DD on your AT is your best bet in trash filled open areas in my opinion. It goes almost as deep as the 8.5x11. The Sniper goes down about 3"-4" max and is only better if you are going right up next to metal chain link fences and other large metal objects. So it's up to where you hunt the most that determines what coil you use.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you already have the Sniper on your 350 you should be fine.
The 5x8 DD on your AT is your best bet in trash filled open areas in my opinion. It goes almost as deep as the 8.5x11. The Sniper goes down about 3"-4" max and is only better if you are going right up next to metal chain link fences and other large metal objects. So it's up to where you hunt the most that determines what coil you use.
Thanks Ace350, I have the sniper on the 350, and the 5x8DD on the Pro. I take them both when I go, plus the 2 large DD(1 for each) I think I've got it covered.:icon_thumright:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jangrock,
The Ace350 comes with the 8.5"x11" DD coil, headphones & a few more features than the 250.
If you have a md shop near by, you might want to see if you can trade in your 250 for a 350.
Or try calling one of our forum sponsor dealers. I use Bart at BigBoysHobbies.net he is a nice guy and real easy to deal with.
The difference in price with your trade in of the 250 would probably be no more than what you would pay for a new coil for the 250.
Then you would have the coil you wanted on a better machine for the same price as buying a new coil for the old machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread