Dead BH SS II

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw somewhere that someone had bought a yard sale SS II and it was dead. Well, here is my recent experience.
In 2008 I bought a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II. After about 10 - 15 trips out, it died.

Importing it to Brasil was not cheap so sending it back for warranty work and getting it back again was too much to deal with.
I had plenty of other things taking up my time and didn't have any tools to work on it either so it was stuck into a corner for seven years.

My wife and I are going to a beach front condo for almost two months (Feb/Mar) so I started thinking about detecting again.

Yesterday, I got the SS II out of the utility/storage area and dusted it off (it was REALLY dirty). Went out and bought a couple of 9v batteries (very expensive here, can I use rechargeables instead of alkaline?). Put in the batteries, yep still dead :-)

Opened it up and started a visual to look for broken wires etc. Poked at a few solder joints with pointy tweezers (still do not have any electronics test equipment) was able to make it beep as I recall the power on sequence sound before. Interesting ... so something might work.

A closer visual inspection revealed that there was actually a small segment of foil missing in the trace that runs from the + battery input to the On/Off switch.

Replacing this trace with a piece of stranded wire solved the problem.

Sorry I didn't think to take any photos. But it is pretty easy to see that the segment of the trace that was missing is quite a bit narrower than the rest of the trace.

Anyway, I am hopefully back into the MD hobby again. :-) It target ID correctly on US coins and some gold and silver samples I had available so I will assume everything is working as designed.

52 days of beach combing coming up. :occasion18:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top, just remember SS-II will not work well at all on the wet salt sand at the beach so need to stay in the dry sand above high tide line...If you try to run it in wet sand you will need to turn sensitivity way down to get it stable, unfortunately that will also cause it to lose lots of depth......

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck! I hope you find enough to pay for your vacation!

OP
OP

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Top, just remember SS-II will not work well at all on the wet salt sand at the beach so need to stay in the dry sand above high tide line...If you try to run it in wet sand you will need to turn sensitivity way down to get it stable, unfortunately that will also cause it to lose lots of depth......

Yeah, when I used it on this beach in 2008 I was just getting used to adjusting it in the all metal mode to work the wet sand a little.
But since there are so few detectoristas here in Brasil, I can find plenty of coins and maybe a ring or two in the dry sand. :-)
Brasileiros wear very little jewelry on the beaches. But Carnival will bring a lot of Argentinians to this beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread