Dead mans land bank

A

Arkynut

I hope that I'm doing this right, posting on this forum, i'm not really that familiar with forums so bear with me please. I would like to pass on a story that was told to me by the old timer's of Welaka Florida, of a man who found treasure on Drayton's Island during a storm that came upon him while out fishing and beached his boat on the island until the storm passed some hundred years past, next he left the area for nearly a year but returned loaded. He never had less than a thousand dollars on him daily. The man did not trust banks, his name was Ward as best I can remember it and there is only one man in the cemetary in Welaka buried under that name and he died prior to 1920. It was told by to me by an eyewitness who saw him take a boat across the river almost daily to retrieve cash from his "land bank". this is a tale with some truth to it, i've searched a couple of times over the years but havenot found it yet. But I can say that Mr. Ward did infact live in Welaka and is buried in the cemetary. I think that he found the Drayton Island treasure sometime during the 1880's or 1890's, I think he died 1910, I cant remember what is written on the head stone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread