Dealing with a few crazies...

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
99.9% of the time I have positive interactions on ebay but this last month I have dealt with some real crazies.

Situation 1: I sell probably one of the most light weight necklaces I have ever sold. It literally is made of aluminum and plastic rhinestones. The lady had (wore) the item for 2 weeks and wants to return it at her cost because it was "too bulky and long". I don't have a problem with it because its within my return guidelines but the return reason is really suspicious. Luckily for me she is not returning it as an item not as described so I will be inspecting it for damages when/if it arrives back to me.

Situation 2: This one really boils my a**. I sold a pair of unsigned earrings for .99. I generally enjoy selling my costume jewelry for a cheap price because every month or so I get a really nice note back saying how they have looked for this particular item for years, etc. The buyer submitted a return request saying how I photoshopped or manipulated the image to hide scratch marks on the earring. Why would I do this for a .99 cent item? I know this isn't true because it was practically new.

I thought ok I will offer a partial refund and be done with it. Dumb me submitted it and then noticed she submitted a picture. So here is the weird thing...the photo shows zero damage. I didn't know how to handle a return for an item that shows zero damage in the picture the buyer submitted so I called ebay. They said there was nothing they could do and that I might have to eat the return shipping and then file an appeal with them later. I know this is ebay code speak "the buyer can do no wrong" and that you will have to refund the full amount. Hmmm I wonder why sellers might be frustrated with your site..I guess I will wait to see what they buyer wants to do. What's worse is that they have left numerous negative positive and neutral feedback.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
99.9% of the time I have positive interactions on ebay but this last month I have dealt with some real crazies.

Situation 1: I sell probably one of the most light weight necklaces I have ever sold. It literally is made of aluminum and plastic rhinestones. The lady had (wore) the item for 2 weeks and wants to return it at her cost because it was "too bulky and long". I don't have a problem with it because its within my return guidelines but the return reason is really suspicious. Luckily for me she is not returning it as an item not as described so I will be inspecting it for damages when/if it arrives back to me.

Situation 2: This one really boils my a**. I sold a pair of unsigned earrings for .99. I generally enjoy selling my costume jewelry for a cheap price because every month or so I get a really nice note back saying how they have looked for this particular item for years, etc. The buyer submitted a return request saying how I photoshopped or manipulated the image to hide scratch marks on the earring. Why would I do this for a .99 cent item? I know this isn't true because it was practically new.

I thought ok I will offer a partial refund and be done with it. Dumb me submitted it and then noticed she submitted a picture. So here is the weird thing...the photo shows zero damage. I didn't know how to handle a return for an item that shows zero damage in the picture the buyer submitted so I called ebay. They said there was nothing they could do and that I might have to eat the return shipping and then file an appeal with them later. I know this is ebay code speak "the buyer can do no wrong" and that you will have to refund the full amount. Hmmm I wonder why sellers might be frustrated with your site..I guess I will wait to see what they buyer wants to do. What's worse is that they have left numerous negative positive and neutral feedback.

1. If they are returning the item within your return guidelines, then what exactly is the problem?

2. If you are specifically selling your jewelry cheap (in this case 99 cents), then why even spend a single moment worrying about a problem buyer or a buyer who is not happy with the transaction. Just refund their 99 cents, sorry for any inconvenience, and move on. Add them to your blocked buyer's list if it makes you feel better.

I have said it many times before and will continue to say this: If you are going to sell stuff in any capacity, I don't understand why anyone would take these transactions so personally. Business is business.

OP
OP
J

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
renask

dionne0267

1. I'm fine with the refund just think its an odd complaint. Still haven't received any shipping notification so I suspect she won't return anything. It may be a case that she requested a refund for the wrong item.

2. I attempted to refund the money but haven't heard back from her. I agree I just refund the money and move on. When I saw the address on the shipping label I knew I was probably going to have a problem.

Not taking it personally I'm just annoyed that she would think I'm behind some master conspiracy to rip her off of .99 cents. The cost of doing business is that you have to deal with difficult people sometimes. I've also had a lot of issues the last month with the post office refusing to deliver mail to some address because they were "dangerous/undeliverable" Has anyone run into this lately?

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. Anyone returning a $.99 piece of jewelry is crazy and not someone I want to deal with.

OP
OP
J

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
Yea I have been doing this for 5 years and this is the first time this has happened. Just my bad luck I guess.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've also had a lot of issues the last month with the post office refusing to deliver mail to some address because they were "dangerous/undeliverable" Has anyone run into this lately?

Never had that happen. I wonder if it was due to something like the homeowner not securing a large dog, or having a large hornets nest attached to the mailbox, something like that. Just curious, did you follow up with USPS or with the buyer, once you got that information?

OP
OP
J

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
They leave a $15 or $5 COD charge in the buyers mailbox. At first I thought it was because I made a mistake on the weight. A few of my buyers were really upset at me because they thought I didn't put the right weight. I guess when they pick the package up the post office workers confront them about whatever is going on. I know at my parents house the postman always carries a big bottle of hornet or any spray.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Jerseyben, I take it personally when the buyer calls me a liar.
I sold a bracelet, and when the woman got it, she said she was unhappy and wanted to return it. Sure, no problem. Come Monday morning, she did INAD! After it came back, I spoke too eBay. They went through our emails, and saw she had buyers remorse. Oh yeah, why INAD? Because I didn't list the carat weight, so the rubies were smaller than she thought!!!! How can that be inad, if I didn't put it in.
Anyway, I refund her everything but original shipping like it states in the auction. She states harassing me, and calls me names. I told her the transaction was over and stop messaging me. She writes me two more times to let me know I'm a liar.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Jerseyben, I take it personally when the buyer calls me a liar.
I sold a bracelet, and when the woman got it, she said she was unhappy and wanted to return it. Sure, no problem. Come Monday morning, she did INAD! After it came back, I spoke too eBay. They went through our emails, and saw she had buyers remorse. Oh yeah, why INAD? Because I didn't list the carat weight, so the rubies were smaller than she thought!!!! How can that be inad, if I didn't put it in.
Anyway, I refund her everything but original shipping like it states in the auction. She states harassing me, and calls me names. I told her the transaction was over and stop messaging me. She writes me two more times to let me know I'm a liar.

Thats a different story. Sounds like a real PITA buyer for sure.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I think buyers forget they are dealing with a live human being on the other end sometimes

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one tonight where the buyer put an offer on something and I accepted it. He sends me an email: I do not want you to except the offer, I just wanted to know the sizes of the items you're selling. It's $8.. Then asks if I can separate the lot. For the ones he wants and I'm assuming he wants a lower price as well but I don't think so.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out, he wanted some for $5. Instead of all. And I thought this is a huge waste of time but whatever but I said no I would like to have all of them sell at once. And he came back with just cancel the order I'll find something better. He could've just sent him a message and sent putting an offer on the thing but oh well he's Blocked and time to move on

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread