Dealing with mud.

basswacker

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
I've been hunting a sandy, submerged island in an inland lake and noticed that I'm finding more heavy items (better targets) in the mud where the sand washed away. It makes perfect since to me why, but it takes a long time to get the target out of the dense clay with the sand scoop. Anybody build a floating box to sieve the clay or haul all the big chunks to the boat and check with a pinpointer later? Any ideas? There's a ton of stuff out there, mostly new clad, but it takes 5 min per target at the rate I'm going. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0

goldringseaker

Mar 15, 2012
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Where I hunt there is a lot of clay as well. I built a heavy duty sifter and I just push the clay back through the wires on my sifter until I can see my target. This I found can be really effective. Hope this helps. Just make sure that your sifter is durable enough to do this. Good luck.:occasion14:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a floating sifter out of an old freezer basket, lined it with 1/4" screen, wrapped a pool float noodle around it using zip ties. Pull the clump in the basket and break it apart in there. Works pretty well for me.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clay is hard to deal with! breaking it apart/ scraping the muck off the target would be easier in a floating sifter than in your scoop. not easy, just easier!!!!
chuck.

OP
OP
B

basswacker

Greenie
Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for the ideas, I think I'll try to rig a stiff plastic grate or screen onto a frame made out of some 4in PVC (hopefully it'll float)....that way I can scan or pinpoint in it if necessary. Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my sieve has half fine mesh and half medium
when I hunt mud in the water - I will scoop and check - when I know I got it in my scoop
I will dump it in the sieve - if I am wearing gloves - I will smush and break it up and let water do its work
to expose the target - some spots I will just dump it in and move on till the next target and will sometimes
wait till I have 3 targets in it and then sift thru - usually by this time the mud from the 1st is almst gone
drop me a line and I will send you a stry I did on floating sieves

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a plastic water heater drain pan at Home Depot for about 8 dollars, drilled a bunch of holes, and zip tided a pool noodle around it. Only used it once so far, but it worked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread