Deapth of old coins

FinderFrank

Sep 28, 2006
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE
I'M in the souhwest Ohio area, In my first 5 months detecting all the wheats & silver I have found is no less than 6 to 8 inches at least.Will coins in the grassy areas of the park be super deep because of the cut grass build up over the many years.Its not uncommon to find newer clad 4 to 6 inches down in these 80 to 100 year old parks.Will coins in the woods generally be shallower.I know that different soils will have an effect on this. let me know the average depth and type of areas you guys and gals are finding your old coins.

Thanks for your help, Frank

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I seem to find most of the coins in this area about 4" to 6" they seem to hit the clay and stop sinking. I was told that the Ice also pushes the coins back up sometimes.

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana
Very good point, example this weekend. Just got a new coin on my mach. so i wanted to test it out after the thaw. We went to a batch of woods, we pulled 6 wheats 20's thru 40's and nickel and 1935 quarter all from about 3-5 in. Today took my new coil out to the old school yard and pulled clad at 8in.

Good point, in my opinion i think that less traveled groomed, mowed, etc. areas the coins are still near the top. ;)

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I can't explain too well why coins are shallow one place & deep in another. Soil type a factor. Big factor how often sod is replaced. Did they take out old dirt & bring in fill dirt & did the fill dirt come from a place where people lost coins long ago? Fill dirt areas no tree roots showing. Tree roots on top of ground may be good area.

I have to wonder how much many walking over an area make them deeper, or mowing & aerating machines (they punch holes in grass). Then maybe ants, gophers, whatever dig under the coins. Amount of rainfall probably a factor, too, rocks in soil, etc.

But I think the less used parts of a park would be less likely to be frequently resodded & have fill dirt, besides heavily detected parks getting detected most in the main activity areas.

You are doing good to get 8"+ I've been detecting since 1976 & my deepest coins have been 7" & only a few at that depth.

I know there are much older coins in the ground than what we usually find. Before coin collecting became popular in 1950s &'60s, coins would circulate 50-100 years from the time they were minted.

So in a city like Cincinnati that has parks going back to the early 1800s, there should be coins from the 1700s. Probably in most areas too deep to reach with our present detectors. When they were doing some digging in the San Francisco harbor they were still finding coins at 30+ *feet*.

Many detectorists say they found the most old coins when they were detecting a place that was being renovated-like street & sidewalk replacements in front of old stores & park renovations. Old house yards before & after bulldozing can be good. HH, George (MN)

T

treasurejack

lionhrt9 said:
Very good point, example this weekend. Just got a new coin on my mach. so i wanted to test it out after the thaw. We went to a batch of woods, we pulled 6 wheats 20's thru 40's and nickel and 1935 quarter all from about 3-5 in. Today took my new coil out to the old school yard and pulled clad at 8in.

Good point, in my opinion i think that less traveled groomed, mowed, etc. areas the coins are still near the top. ;)

Love the Penguins! lol
So how close are you to the ft wayne?

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1913-D wheat on top of the ground and beneath the leaf litter....there was a 1911 barber quarter found within 30 feet of that. It was also under the leaves. In my mid it would depend upon the types and quantities of the root systems of the various plants in that area. The place where these were found was abandoned in 1923.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread