DeArmitt gets Early Artillery Button

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Yesteday DeArmitt and I were hanging out in the shop and Bob from Johnstown stopped in for a visit. We were telling Diggin stories and showing off some finds. Bob had a Sweet U.S. Plate he dug in J-Town, you never know do you ? It was under a huge pine tree deep under a root. The signal just sounded too sweet on his Explorer to give up he said. The funny thing is it had a square nail right in the middle of it. Maybe attached to the tree at one time ??? After about 2 hours of telling lies, I asked him if he wanted to go play in the mud. A good chance for him to try his E-Trac on some Relics. The finds were coming slow as the area has been pounded for years. DeArmitt dug what he tought at first was a small flat button but it looked like it had something on it, and it did. The worse for probably close to 200 years in the ground you can make out the Eagle and Cannon, he says it has 3 cannonballs on the right side, but my old eyes can't see them. It's cast and 14mm. I can't find the exact one in my book but then it's pretty bad. He also got a huge coat button. I got a nice Musketball and smaller ball or shot. It was a Great day to be out. Spring is the Best !

HH
BB

Attachments

• artillery 2 007.JPG
    artillery 2 007.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 428
  • artillery 2 003.JPG
    artillery 2 003.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 433
  • artillery button 002.JPG
    artillery button 002.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 440
  • artillery button 003.JPG
    artillery button 003.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 415
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice War of 1812 Artillery Corps Button :icon_thumleft: And the US Plate is awesome; looks like a boxplate.. is it a Boxplate or Beltplate/Buckle? Doesn't matter either way, still a Terrific day y'all had!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG! Very good outing yall had there.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love those buttons with the eagle on the cannon. Always wanted to dig one and finally did about 6 years ago. Yes we are finally getting some nice weather here in Pennsylvania :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
FortBedfordbob

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
{Sentinel} said:
That's a nice War of 1812 Artillery Corps Button :icon_thumleft: And the US Plate is awesome; looks like a boxplate.. is it a Boxplate or Beltplate/Buckle? Doesn't matter either way, still a Terrific day y'all had!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I'm thinking it is a Box Plate because of the size of it. A bit smaller than a 1810 Cross Belt Plate I dug some years back. He had the lead in the back scratched up from trying to dig it out from under the root.

Thanks Everyone !
BB

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For Bob and others that might be hard of seeing, i circled the cannonballs.

Attachments

• mybutton.jpg
    mybutton.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 268

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, both your buddies did well, the plate and the button are fantastic finds.
Are you talking about (incline plane) Johnstown Pa? I worked there for a while
for a mapping Co making as-builts for the power co in the mid 70's.

That Iron City beer sure sucked.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Everytime is see dirt on someones hands in pictures I immediately start smiling...great digging, love that US plate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread