Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just something for y'all's opinions. The location is in a canyon off the Arkansas River in Chaffee County, Colorado. It definitely caught my eye. Hopefully I can describe it and you can look at the pics. This formation has a cap rock which is held up by an upright. Beneath the bevelled edge of that upright is a round stone (arrow) with three rocks behind it. Below all that a recess goes back but I couldn't really tell if any digging had gone on there or not. It does appear that if you started digging around at the base of the formation and you jarred the round stone loose, the upright would fall and flatten you then the caprock would come down and cover the whole mess. I didn't really feel comfortable pokin around too much, and have no idea what it would be protecting. Until I get back and have more time to look the area over better, it's probably just a natural formation that's been that way for millennia. Still, I had to wonder.

Attachments

• 4-21f.jpg
    4-21f.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 4-21g.jpg
    4-21g.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 225
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Quinoa, and monument is a good description. You can't miss it as you walk in the canyon and it definitely caught my eye. If the caprock was a pointer, it is pointing down the canyon directly at the river. Lots of rock formations here, but nothin else quite like this one that I've seen. Although we don't have them around here, I did notice the dolphin resemblance. Spaniards would know what a dolphin was, and they most likely explored up along the Arkansas through this area. Mt. Princeton is off to the west about 5 miles from here and there's an old Spanish treasure tale associated with that area. I'll be gettin back down to this area and doing some further checking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions