Debs finds

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: OhioDeb results

I would say so!

It looks like you have discovered a new toy!

Here is a little secret for you to think about, in case you don't already know:

When searching in a place where many people have been, search the perimeter first. Few detectorists search there, mostly they start looking right out in the middle of a lawn or playfield. The best place to start looking is (usually, but not always) along a fence or some other mad-made boundary. Men in those old days used to sit on fences, to watch the girls. Women often sat on the ground a few feet away from the fences and other borders, and right at the shadow line of a big tree, where they could either feel the sun, or stay cool in the shade by just moving a few inches one way or another. The best place to search on beaches is halfway between the high and low tide mark; Or on fresh water beaches, halfway between the water and the flood stage.

Hope this helps, and have fun with your hobby Deb

LL AKA "EasyMoney"

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Good work Deb. Turn that scrim up enough so one of those fat rusty nails wont sound off and you will do better. Game on!

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other

Ok folks, here is EXACTLY WHY you don't turn your discriminator up, unless you MUST;

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/painful_truth.htm

Unless of course, you want to miss most of the goodies. I used to know a man who came from Viet Nam. When he first got to the USA he didn't have a job, didn't have an income, didn't have squat. He worked to earn a metal detector, a silver Sabre, and dug absolutely EVERYTHING he got a signal on. He found more junk than anybody I ever met, but he also found more gold and silver rings and jewelry and old coins and even gold coins than anybody I have ever met in my entire life. For nearly 5 years he earned a living finding goodies. Nobody else I've ever met can make that claim.

LL, AKA EasyMoney

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

OhioDeb........... Some nice finds there ..... Just get out there and keep it up............... Now on Tom Dankowski i have read ever thing that he has put out................ And Lucly larry .aka.. Easy Money is right if you do not want to pass up the good finds don't use that discriminator......... You will dig a lot more junk but you will not miss any of the good finds........

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LuckyLarry said:
Ok folks, here is EXACTLY WHY you don't turn your discriminator up, unless you MUST;

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/painful_truth.htm

Unless of course, you want to miss most of the goodies. I used to know a man who came from Viet Nam. When he first got to the USA he didn't have a job, didn't have an income, didn't have squat. He worked to earn a metal detector, a silver Sabre, and dug absolutely EVERYTHING he got a signal on. He found more junk than anybody I ever met, but he also found more gold and silver rings and jewelry and old coins and even gold coins than anybody I have ever met in my entire life. For nearly 5 years he earned a living finding goodies. Nobody else I've ever met can make that claim.

LL, AKA EasyMoney

There's no arguing that.

I guess it proves the majority of valuable targets are still in the ground, but maybe the majority of the "easy" valuable targets have been found.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Deb's finds

Yeah Smudge, the thing that really got me is when Dankowski couldn't find a dime with a paper staple over the top of it. I know that he is an expert and that it's not uncommon, but getting used to favorite detectors does have it's pluses sometimes too. Still ANY iron masks good targets, especially gold ones.

I usually run my discriminator at zero disk and listen to the sounds. Both of my main detectors (cz70 running in notch but with nothing notched out) and my Compass R&C (running in all-metal) both give me decent readings anyway, even though I analize the cz by ear, and the Compass with a combo of both audio AND meter swing. The Fisher gives me a good grunt or bad grunt on iron, and I can usually tell the difference between big iron, small iron, or a combo of targets together. The Compass is even sweeter, it gives me different sounds if I turn slightly one way or another, or tilt my coil. It's a real honey for sorting out iron over the top (or bottom) of a good target. These two detectors and the little Chinese one are so nearly perfectly deigned that I really have no need for any others, although I have about 15 more hanging on the wall.

When searching the Willamette University campus one day, my friend was with me using iron discrimination on his Whites. He was searching VERY slowly and carefully, and I came in behind him with an old Bounty Hunter vlf-tr, using ZERO DISCRIMINATION. My detector just about blew the speaker out of the box! I dug a rose gold man's signature ring (with no engraving on it) weighing in a 3/4 of an ounce. Anybody knows how much that is worth, I don't need to tell anybody. And yes, it barely gave me a peep when I checked it in discrimination. And it was only 3" deep!

He (Mace) got so angry that he wrapped his detector around a parking meter, then stabbed it with his bayonette, leving the bayonette still stuck through the box, and mailed it back to Whites with a note on saying "I killed it". Whites was good about it and gave him a different detector of his choice.

LL/EM

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Welcome to TNet, Deb!

The many, the chosen, the addicted.

Square nails will prove you are hunting somewhere earlier than 1895. Square nails are an excellent reason to slow down and grid an area.

Here's another tip: for older sites, don't just work in one direction. Try to work north-south AND east-west for those areas. You will find stuff you thought you have already covered. Here's the thing: most cheaper detectors have a volume of detectable area under the coil shaped like a cone. Unless the center of your coil goes over the object, your detector will not read it. If 8 inches is the limit of your detectable depth, then you will be finding only 50% of the objects at 4-5 inches deep. It's built-in to the detector design.

By overlapping your search pattern by 1/2 the diamter of the coil, you should be finding at least 75-80% of detectable finds.

Good hunting! And again, welcome to TNet!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LuckyLarry said:
Yeah Smudge, the thing that really got me is when Dankowski couldn't find a dime with a paper staple over the top of it. I know that he is an expert and that it's not uncommon, but getting used to favorite detectors does have it's pluses sometimes too. Still ANY iron masks good targets, especially gold ones.

I usually run my discriminator at zero disk and listen to the sounds. Both of my main detectors (cz70 running in notch but with nothing notched out) and my Compass R&C (running in all-metal) both give me decent readings anyway, even though I analize the cz by ear, and the Compass with a combo of both audio AND meter swing. The Fisher gives me a good grunt or bad grunt on iron, and I can usually tell the difference between big iron, small iron, or a combo of targets together. The Compass is even sweeter, it gives me different sounds if I turn slightly one way or another, or tilt my coil. It's a real honey for sorting out iron over the top (or bottom) of a good target. These two detectors and the little Chinese one are so nearly perfectly deigned that I really have no need for any others, although I have about 15 more hanging on the wall.

When searching the Willamette University campus one day, my friend was with me using iron discrimination on his Whites. He was searching VERY slowly and carefully, and I came in behind him with an old Bounty Hunter vlf-tr, using ZERO DISCRIMINATION. My detector just about blew the speaker out of the box! I dug a rose gold man's signature ring (with no engraving on it) weighing in a 3/4 of an ounce. Anybody knows how much that is worth, I don't need to tell anybody. And yes, it barely gave me a peep when I checked it in discrimination. And it was only 3" deep!

He (Mace) got so angry that he wrapped his detector around a parking meter, then stabbed it with his bayonette, leving the bayonette still stuck through the box, and mailed it back to Whites with a note on saying "I killed it". Whites was good about it and gave him a different detector of his choice.

LL/EM

Well, at least he took it well. :icon_sunny:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice find .. But i have no idea what it might be..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread