December 6,1969 Altamont-The Story Behind "GIMME SHELTER"

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
First off,12-06-69 was my 21st birthday,and my band was playing a gig with the Tropics at the Ocala City Auditorium,while the end of the sixties was beginning in California.
For those who have never seen "Gimme Shelter" and the killing of an 18yo black man by the Hells Angles while the Rolling Stones performed "Under My Thumb",the following link will provide the background.
Other bands that performed that day were Santana,The Flying Burrito Brothers (with Florida boy Gram Parsons,the founder of country rock),Jefferson Airplane,and Crosby,Stills,Nash,& Young.The Dead were to play before the Stones,but when Jerry and Phil saw what was happening,LEFT!The Dead song,"New Speedway Boogie" is about the events at Altamont.
Robert Altman photos from Altamont:
ALTAMONT
In the first photo is Mick and Keith with his 1969 Dan Armstrong plexiglass guitar(I still have mine and it still rocks).
For what really happened:
Cherrypicker: ALTAMONT - WHAT REALLY HAPPENED
For those who didn't live in the '60's,you may not realize how violent they were with Viet Nam protests,civil rights protests,and the RIGHT's "Love it or leave" mantra.
It all came to a head with "Tin soldiers and Nixon's army" at Kent State in 1970.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know what really Happend at Altamont .

"alcohol" :( alcohol & alcoholics being in charge of crowd control.

they didn't have this in woodstock because essentially there was no crowd control
or alcohol on any large scale being fed to morons at woodstock.

& don't get me started on the trained Murderers (aka "weekend Warriors" at that time) at Kent State :angry5:

I don't want to get political

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
as for the Rolling stones

Rolling Stones planning 2014 world tour

think they will live through it ? expect Geritol stock to rise.
I think they use something a bit stronger than Geritol!
At their age they can still rock-Mick works that stage,Keith and Ronnie's guitar weaving leads are so precise that you can not tell which is which except for different guitar sounds,and Charlie,still banging a constant beat.
Hey,its only rock and roll...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there best song ever, Completely destroyed :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread