ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took another long, all day roadtrip yesterday to strategically re-visit banks that I haven't been to in many months, a few of which produced pretty well in the past. I always meticulously plan out my trip in advance down to the last bank. Generally I plan a bigger trip than I could possibly make just in case I have miscalculated on how far I can get, things go more smoothly then normal, etc. Well my day went very smoothly with no snafus anywhere and, I either miscalculated horribly, overestimated my route planning abilities, or more likely both. I had my trip planned at ending at a little 4 bank town that has always produced a few 40%ers. Nothing special, but it was a logical place given where I thought I would be, and the time I thought I might have left to search. I wouldn't have bet that I could even make it to that town before the banks closed. Needless to say, I was done with that town at 2:30 pm which left me scrambling. I hate scrambling. I like everything planned out nice and neat so I don't even have to think. Just plug in the coordinates to the next stop on the GPS and go. Luckily, I had my notebook with all my notes with me. It lists every bank I have ever been to along with my finds there as well as any additional useful info, such as "will sell bags from the counter", etc. I quickly planned a route that would hit a few banks that I thought had the best chance to produce, and they were at least kinda in the direction of home. My best stop of the day turned out to be my very last stop of the day. It turned what I would have called a disappointing trip into a decent trip.

I left home at 5:40 am arriving at the first bank just as they unlocked the doors at 8:00 am. I pulled into my driveway at 6:40 pm amazed that 13 hours could go by so quickly. Actually, I was amazed at how fast the first 12 hours went by. That last hour or so driving home didn't go nearly as quickly. :D I covered ~400 miles roundtrip hitting 44 banks in 12 different towns. I found ~$2750 in halves to search, and 9 of the 44 banks produced silver.

The only notable stop was, as I stated above, my last stop of the day in a town I hadn't planned on even visiting. This bank closed at 5:00, and according to the clock in my vehicle, I pulled into the parking lot at 4:56. I had been to this bank 3 or 4 times in the past without it ever giving up a single silver. I went up to the only available teller and asked for halves as always. He said he had 3 and as he laid them on the counter I heard that sweet "clank" of silver. One of the two drive-thru tellers heard my request and said that she had $1 worth, and they "clanked" as well. The other drive-thru teller was busy with something, but told my teller that he had $8-$9 dollars worth. As my teller went to count them, I heard a lot more clanking. Another teller had $3, but all clad. The final teller had 4 CWRs. I paid for my halves and was out the door. Back in the car, I couldn't resist peeking at the CWRs even though I would wait until I returned home to open them. Only 2 had silver showing on the ends, but one was a double 40% ender. With the amount of silver I had already seen, I was hopeful that it was a solid roll. It did indeed turn out to be the elusive solid roll (all 40%) - the 57th solid roll I have somehow managed to find so far. Out of $13 in loose halves and $40 in CWRs that bank gave up 39 40% and a single '64 Ken which definitely saved the day for me.

Total take for the day:

62 40%
2 90% (1 Ken, 1 Ben)

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds! Good thing you made it to that last bank in time.

Seems we both had a great day yesterday - I found 61 keepers myself & I had a 62 keeper score @ another bank just a couple of weeks ago.

Hope the rest of the year is as good.

TG for clueless/careless bank customers & tellers (although often rather nice & helpfull). :)

H$H!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds! I would love to have tellers that don't cull silver, unfourtinately, I have only found one 40%er in 2 years from a teller tray. :dontknow:

Congrats on #57!

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Impure,

It's all realative. Maybe in your area it would be one notch above a skunk. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...or in this case the CRH'er. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImpurestStewart said:
...My question now, Is what is a GOOD road trip??? Sick score in my book.

Good is relative. Had I just ventured a few miles into a neighboring town and came away with 64 keepers, that would have been a great road trip. But, considering I drove over 400 miles, spent 13 hours on the road and another 4 or so sorting, counting, and bagging the rejects, it wasn't that great. Kinda like getting 64 keepers from 2 boxes...that would be outstanding! But, if it took say, 100 boxes to get those 64 keepers, thats not nearly as good - even though either way its technically 64 keepers added to the pile. To look at it another way, I think the government allows something like a 55 cents per mile tax deduction in the use of a personal vehicle for business purposes which covers gasoline burned, wear-and-tear, etc. The 400 miles I drove would knock $220 off my "profit" right off the top. That would leave me with ~$130 for 17 hours work, or about $7.65 per hour. Thats barely minimum wage. No complaints from me at all, but that is nothing to get overly excited about IMO. Happy? Yes, definitely. Ecstatic? No.

Plus, maybe I'm a little spoiled, or at the very least to the point in my CRHing "career" that finding "only" 64 keepers isn't as big of a deal as it would have been a couple of years ago. I remember my first "all day" trip. I scoured the countryside and came up with something like 30 40%. I was SO excited. It seemed like such a HUGE score after opening several mostly skunk boxes and finding a lone 40%er or two here and there. It probably doubled the size of my entire stash at that point. Silver was only ~$20/oz. back then, but gasoline was about the same price. It wasn't much of a score at all in fact, even though it sure felt like it at the time.

Also, on this trip I was just plain ol' expecting more. I travelled an area that had been very good to me in the past, and I guess I was expecting similar results. I knew 2 or 3 of the banks had "above average" potential for a BIG score. I always feel as though I have a good chance of 100+ keepers on a trip of this magnitude.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions