Decent Saturday Hunt

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a pretty good hunt on Saturday despite the less-than-expected rainfall.

Found the Big Sandy's and Dalton type in a transitional Paleo/early Archaic site and the others in a late Archaic site.
If anyone can help me identify the Dalton type to the right of the Big Sandy's I would appreciate it. I'm at a loss!

IMG_3065.PNG

Upvote 0

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Bottom left could possibly be a Kinney...? Or a Plainview...?

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man some killers in their any chance of getting some close up pics of a few of them .... looks like some great points in there..... is that a drill too? That’s a great hunt

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Georgia - that bottom left point doesn't look like a Dalton to me. Wrong form, flaking, etc... At first glance it looks pre-Dalton and a nice Paleo example. On second glance I think it's been rebased meaning it once was a broken tip that someone reworked to make into a usable point again. The basic outline is still paleo and it could have been reworked in that time. Of course it could have been reworked later as well. Close up of that point would be very interesting. As would details on the basal treatment - is it ground, is it basally thinned, is it fluted. Is there any outre-passe flaking on the piece? Very interesting and congrats on the nice finds.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on an old site for sure. Stay with that area.It is where you want to be if you like going way back in time.

OP
OP
G

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgia - that bottom left point doesn't look like a Dalton to me. Wrong form, flaking, etc... At first glance it looks pre-Dalton and a nice Paleo example. On second glance I think it's been rebased meaning it once was a broken tip that someone reworked to make into a usable point again. The basic outline is still paleo and it could have been reworked in that time. Of course it could have been reworked later as well. Close up of that point would be very interesting. As would details on the basal treatment - is it ground, is it basally thinned, is it fluted. Is there any outre-passe flaking on the piece? Very interesting and congrats on the nice finds.

IMG_3068.PNG

IMG_3069.PNG

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it was chipped at the base so probably a nice Camp Creek, Woodland period. But still a nice one. Here is what I think you have.
Nicest one I have ever found and it to had me thinking early.

Attachments

• SDC12464.JPG
    SDC12464.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 81

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a good day for finds man

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some transitional wheelers. They have a good auricle.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think it’s woodland ? I thought for sure at least archaic but than again I’m just guessing and don’t have a clue about his area ,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread