Deep squeaker

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was at a local park yesterday where I have had some good luck with silver coins the past few months. Most of them were found around 4 or 5 inches. I got a slight squeaker of a signal and decided to take a chance. At 8+ inches in the last scoop a coin appeared. It was bigger than expected and wasn't shiny. I thought "what could this strange coin be?" After wiping it off I could see Washington's face. Must just be dirty and tarnished silver. When I get home I check it out under a magnifying glass. It was a 1982 clad quarter. How in the hell does a 1982 quarter get that deep?!

Sorry for any typos and other things. I'm on my phone since my job blocked many websites a few months ago. GL

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Our friend the bulldozer might have been there. Sometimes the park will add fill dirt to an area where there is a low spot or some erosion. Sod can also account for deep modern targets, as it adds 6" to the apparent soil depth.

On an all too often basis, I find coins that defy explanation... and NOT in the good way.

Don't hesitate to invite me to your silver laden park... I can give you an onsite tutorial!

JK! Best of luck to you Bill.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was at a local park yesterday where I have had some good luck with silver coins the past few months. Most of them were found around 4 or 5 inches. I got a slight squeaker of a signal and decided to take a chance. At 8+ inches in the last scoop a coin appeared. It was bigger than expected and wasn't shiny. I thought "what could this strange coin be?" After wiping it off I could see Washington's face. Must just be dirty and tarnished silver. When I get home I check it out under a magnifying glass. It was a 1982 clad quarter. How in the hell does a 1982 quarter get that deep?!

Sorry for any typos and other things. I'm on my phone since my job blocked many websites a few months ago. GL

Happens to me all the time, 2000 and later dimes, nickels, pennies, and even lite pulltabs, 8-10" deep in the hard packed clay in areas that haven't seen any change in thirty years. :dontknow::laughing7:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just dug a 98 penny at 10 inches on sat, you know the land has been altered at that point.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The earth very well may have been moved around but it doesn't look like it. It's beside a creek so maybe flooding has deposited extra "dirt" there. One of those mysteries I guess we'll never!

Tom, the park WAS silver laden. :laughing7: Since late last year I have pulled 12 silvers from there. A few weeks ago I finally decided to detect a path that parallels the creek. I have avoided it because it's fairly well used and I don't think people would appreciate me digging where they are walking and biking.:laughing7: Found 2 different spills. 1st spill was a Buffalo, Silver quarter and a Merc. 2nd spill was another Buff and 2 Mercs. A war nickel was the last silver of the day. The next day I went back to the area and my first signal was a Merc at 2 inches. I have been back multiple times but have not found silver since. Needless to say I have hit that path hard!

ETA: Don't want it to seem like it has been easy at the park. I have been to that park (and the school beside it) COUNTLESS times.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The earth very well may have been moved around but it doesn't look like it. It's beside a creek so maybe flooding has deposited extra "dirt" there. One of those mysteries I guess we'll never!

Tom, the park WAS silver laden. :laughing7: Since late last year I have pulled 12 silvers from there. A few weeks ago I finally decided to detect a path that parallels the creek. I have avoided it because it's fairly well used and I don't think people would appreciate me digging where they are walking and biking.:laughing7: Found 2 different spills. 1st spill was a Buffalo, Silver quarter and a Merc. 2nd spill was another Buff and 2 Mercs. A war nickel was the last silver of the day. The next day I went back to the area and my first signal was a Merc at 2 inches. I have been back multiple times but have not found silver since. Needless to say I have hit that path hard!

ETA: Don't want it to seem like it has been easy at the park. I have been to that park (and the school beside it) COUNTLESS times.

You sure make it look easy!

Best of luck to you Bill.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a similar experience. Hit a faint signal and at 10" I pulled a 1996 Roosevelt dime. * Rats *

People just love to move soil around. Floods, silt, back-fill, tilling, etc., etc.

Then there was this guy. Got all the way home and when I cleaned off what I happily thought was a large cent it was a red half!

HPIM1377.JPG

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
How in the hell does a 1982 quarter get that deep?!

A few years back, I dug one like that from my front yard. I know damned well that the earth hadn't been moved, as that penny had been minted after I'd bought the place, meaning that it had been dropped since I'd moved in.

Was it minted in error? Had I botched my pinpointing and dug past it, then knocked it into the hole? Were well meaning neighbors adding fill dirt to my yard while I was at work? Or is there something else at play here?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread