pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepest coil for my Explorer that is under 15"

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but what is the deepest seeking coil under 15". I use an Explorer II and I'd like to get the deepest coil out there. Not interested in a WOT or a "monster" coil yet. Any advice or comparisons are much appreciated. Oh... I currently have an (8.5" x 11.5" Platypus), (8" Minelab), and a (5.5" Sunray).

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Deepest coil for my Explorer that is under 15"

pjroo33 said:
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but what is the deepest seeking coil under 15". I use an Explorer II and I'd like to get the deepest coil out there. Not interested in a WOT or a "monster" coil yet. Any advice or comparisons are much appreciated. Oh... I currently have an (8.5" x 11.5" Platypus), (8" Minelab), and a (5.5" Sunray).

Why not use the stock? (which now would be the pro coil) I think it's by far the best all around coil.

I too have tried the bigger coils and not for me. Haven't given up 100% on the WOT but in no rush to get another. I don't like the 8" and would never use it, and a 5" I would throw in the trash. But that's just me. :D

M

Mike(Mont)

Sunray makes a 12 inch. I heard the Sov users like it. Said it's light. I don't know, I use a WOT. My feelings are the bigger coils aren't much better on small items, so maybe the 12 is just as good most of the time.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike(Mont) said:
Sunray makes a 12 inch. I heard the Sov users like it. Said it's light. I don't know, I use a WOT. My feelings are the bigger coils aren't much better on small items, so maybe the 12 is just as good most of the time.

When you look at the new stock coils I think that eliminates the Sunray 12" because the weight advantage is gone and only 1" in the difference.

M

Mike(Mont)

Makes sense to me as long as you are coin shooting. You have a better chance of picking up jewelery, etc.

OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've heard the SEF 10" x 12" is a nice coil too. Wondering where the best place to get a Pro coil would be? I doubt there many used ones out there.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005

Stick with your Platypus coil. The Platypus coil is very good on the Explorer2 I have used one on mine for the last 4yrs plus I have the 15 wot coil, the standard coil and the 8inch coil as well. The standard coil is very poorly balanced and tends to be very front heavy. The Platypus coil is not far behind the 15inch as far as depth goes it definately beats the standard coil, giving sharper and clearer signals. The shape of the coil makes it easier to pin point and use in cluttered areas. There are draw backs with bigger coils which people dont realise. You are more prone to noise, mineralisation and electrical interference problems , plus you can actually lose targets due to the size of the coil. If you get two targets under the coil at the same time and one of those is discriminated out the machine will blank out and you will lose the good target as well. This is more likely to happen with larger coils because the coil covers a bigger area.The only way out of this is to run the machine in an all metal mode or very wide discrimination pattern so it accepts more targets and doesnt blank out. This means you will dig a lot more rubbish but at least it is not losing good targets. If you run your machine in manual sensitivity mode you will get more depth from the machine, dont get trapped into buying bigger coils because they will supposedly go deeper a lot of the time they have to be run at lower sensitivities because of interference or ground conditions and they actually dont go as deep as the smaller coils which you can turn up the sensitivity on. The main advantage of the bigger coil is you are covering a bigger area so you can detect a larger area more quickly. But this is dependant also on targets if you are in a littered area with lots of targets the bigger coil could give you problems isolating individual targets and pinpointing could also be difficult.Seeya Neilo :thumbsup:.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions