IMG_2042.PNG
    422 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is interesting, but why would someone make repros of deer vertebrae, that seems very odd to me.Is there really a market for fake deer bones?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he is talking about the point stuck in the bone. I think that it is a fake. Just My Opinion.

Quinoa

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2011
Purgatory
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx pi 12+20inch coil, Garrett mh series, Garrett 2500+t-hound attchmnt, fisher tw-6 two box, Pulsestar pro ii with various coils up to 98 inches, pulsemaster pro w/1.2 m coil
Primary Interest:
Other
There's actually quite a few people who hunt with stone pointed arrows and bows they make themselves. It's just called Primitive archery vs traditional archery. They take big game with them, mainly deer, pigs etc.
Some people make a living out of selling the arrows/arrowheads and other equipment.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That same picture has been making the rounds on just about Facebook artifact page in the last couple of weeks. It seems it was always found by a friend, uncle, cousin, etc on every post. Like said above, there are people who still hunt this way and it's possible it may be real. It's just not ancient. That bone is not old enough to have a Late Archaic type Stemmed Point imbedded in it.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didnt even see the point sticking out of it lol.If it was found in a cave or under a bluff it could be real, but just from the picture it doesnt appear to ne that old as grim said.That would be a cool find, but the idea of some guy out there manufacturing these things for sale seems odd

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made a number of them for people that want to sit something out for display/conversation clovis and bone 002.JPG This one was made for Larson a departed friend to a lot of folks on this site.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1962 I saw one embedded in a deer hip bone that was the real deal. It was found on Dead Woman Creek in Oklahoma by my cousins. There's also that calf creek point in a bison skull they found down in Oklahoma. Bad aim, dude, but the real deal. I have also seen a point embedded in a human neck vertebra, from a site in Caddo County, OK. This dated back about 700 years ago. There are no pics of this that I know around, but it really did tell a story.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oetzi the "Ice Man" found in the Italian Alps, I believe, had a stone point embedded in his pelvis when they found him. I believe it had healed in there too. I'll see if I can find a pic.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry it was Kennewick man...approx 20 years before his death he took a spear point to the hip... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496783812.011263.jpg

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oetzi the "Ice Man" found in the Italian Alps, I believe, had a stone point embedded in his pelvis when they found him. I believe it had healed in there too. I'll see if I can find a pic.
I think you're correct about the Ice Man too. I remember the scientist's believe that is what killed him. Maybe in his upper back?

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're correct about the Ice Man too. I remember the scientist's believe that is what killed him. Maybe in his upper back?

Yes, upper back:
otzi431.jpg

This new medical evidence suggests that an attacker, positioned behind and below his victim, fired a single arrow that struck the Iceman's left shoulder blade–precisely the area at which prehistoric hunters aimed to bring down game with one shot. The arrow went clean through the bone and pierced the artery. Blood instantly began to gush out, filling the space between the shoulder blade and the ribs. In his few remaining minutes of life, the Iceman became a textbook case of what is now known as hemorrhagic shock. His heart started to race. Sweat drenched his garments, even at an altitude two miles (three kilometers) above sea level. He felt increasingly faint because not enough oxygen was reaching his brain. In a matter of a few minutes, the Iceman collapsed, lost consciousness, and bled out.

Another x-ray showing the point in different color.

Sources.

--Guy

OP
OP
BJS in Iowa

BJS in Iowa

Jun 21, 2011
Iowa
Yes, I was not insinuating that bone was fake or that the point was not ancient, only that the point in it was put there recently. I'm pretty skeptical that it is authentically old. A guy I worked with offshore once brought one to work that looked strikingly similar to this that he claimed was found in Texas by his "uncle-brother-cousin-firend" or the like.

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't this image used as an avatar by a member here?

Anasazi-skull-of-a-20-year-old-woman.jpg
20 year-old Anasazi woman's skull

--Guy

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
look for an impact fracture on the tip...acidic soils in NJ would never leave something like that behind...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread