Deer Creek Hills preserve

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone familiar with Deer Creek Hills out of Rancho Murietta? After hitting my spot on the Cosumnes i decided to drive around a bit and explore. Took Latrobe Road off of Hwy 16 and followed it out to S Shingles Road. Found these spots that look so beautiful I just had to take some pics. Found out on the north side of the road is Deer Creek Hills. A preserve. Talked with a couple off-roaders sitting under a tree drinking beer who said he's always wanted to pan this creek - but has never gotten around to it. Did not know if it was legal or not. South side of the road is private property.

I'be been checking since I got home - but so far no info on whether I can pan or not. Will make some calls tomorrow - see what I can find out. Road is fit for 4 wheelers and cycles - that's about it. A lot of great looking bedrock and those awesome rock formations that stick up through the clay.

KIMG0007.jpg KIMG0013.jpg

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
used to work out that way and as I understood at the time you could only access it by signing up for a nature hike. There is a good possibility it has gold as they dredge it on both sides of Scott Rd. There was a fire out there about ten years ago or more on that property. They hung streamers on the trees for the fire crews to denote cultural artifacts were present on site.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been detecting north east of there off of Latrobe rd , there are some train tracks in this area that run along the road and cut west near a bridge that crosses deer creek. You can walk the tracks its a hiking trail. We didnt find anything but trash that day but I wish I brought my pan as we found lots of broken mining picks and tools and some nice spots that looking promising. Not sure of the legality of it as most of the good area is on private property but the railroad rack and trail cut right through.

OP
OP
sidvail

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found the site for the preserve - part of Sacramento Valley Conservancy. Plan on calling tomorrow and see what I can find out. From what I read it is probably still only accessible by guide and membership. Some beautiful land there.

Asmbandits - I stopped at that bridge today for a view - was wondering about access there. Will go back out for a look-see. That's my kinda area. Tracks look like they follow deer creak pretty close too. Yeah, I gotta get back out there.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is no prospecting allowed anywhere near there. Miles and miles of private property all the way from Sacramento. If you want to pan or metal detect you will need written permission from the property owner.

About five miles east of Rancho Murieta on 16 there are some small parcels of BLM managed land. You might check those out. You can see where they are by turning on the Land Status layer on the California Mining Claims map on the Land Matters website. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

medic7a

Apr 30, 2013
Placerville, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big bucket line dredge operation there in the late 1800s east of the consumness up big canyon creek and french creek. Tailing piles are still there. But it is all private property.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done that drive its cool gets pretty Muddy. Right in the middle of a lot of OFF LIMITS. People party on nights on the rd out there. And There is a lot of trespassing happening out there. I have seen videos posted of people detecting out there. I ran into a property owner and he flat out told me no way. Pretty sure the nature conservancy people will think your the devil. They practically blame guys like us for the dredging that happened last century.:laughing7:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My buddy being late to work used that road as a shortcut one morning. There was a large puddle that went from edge to edge and he plowed it at great speed completely swamping the motor. I brought the towvrope and drug the car to work. The motor never ran again.

OP
OP
sidvail

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My buddy being late to work used that road as a shortcut one morning. There was a large puddle that went from edge to edge and he plowed it at great speed completely swamping the motor. I brought the towvrope and drug the car to work. The motor never ran again.

LOL. I think I ran into that same puddle. I took it slow and hugged the side - made it through easy enough - but it was surprisingly deep.

Lanny - Yup, just awesome out there. Just makes you wanna climb around and dig out those nooks and cranny's.

calsierra-Dan

Jun 1, 2015
eldorado co.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Goldmonster 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
Big bucket line dredge operation there in the late 1800s east of the consumness up big canyon creek and french creek. Tailing piles are still there. But it is all private property.

that is a cool area , it is private , there is a lot o cool history there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread