Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deerfield Beach Florida - MD Report

Well I just got back from a great vacation in Florida. Being how Pennsylvania was having all those negative degree days when I was down there, made it even more enjoyable. It was in the 80's and sunny for 5 out of the 7 days we were there.

Now for the tecten report: No great pictures but, It's a beautiful beach to detect, miles of nice sand and blue water. Did I mention the bikinis? well that there beach isn't lacking at all. It was not filled with gold rings and necklaces as I was lead to believe it was, I would call it the bottle cap and foil beach of all times.

Finds consisted of around $6.47 in clad (oldest coin was a 1951 nickel, also found a 1961 dime), two matchbox cars, some purse tags, about 500 (yes, five hundred) bottle tops, numerous pieces of foil, a real nice pair of mens sunglasses (laying on a rock), misc. odd and ends.

I had a blast, wouldn't have traded it for anything. I hunted about four hours a day, usually in the morning before the crowds. A couple of night hunts also. I'd say I hunted about 25 hours. My Ace 350 performed flawlessly in the sand, wet and dry.

Now the gripe part: I met several detectorists while I was there. Some novices, some pros, Minelabs to Bounty Hunters, guys in the water, guys out of the water. I talked to most every MDer I saw there. I watched and learned. The guys who were visiting like myself would pick up every piece of trash and bottle cap they found, right in the trash pouch it would go. I watched several local guys with some beautiful minelab machines walking along with their long scoops and then dumping their trash right back on the beach. I followed one such local guy I had talked with one morning and he never picked up one single piece of trash he found. You would see a bottle cap or foil right by his scoop hole everytime. I don't know if locals just hunt it so much that they get tired of picking it all up or if that's the way beach detecting is. I've hunted on beaches in Maine and also in Nags Head, this was my first trip to a florida beach. I never saw more than three detectorists out at one time from a little before sunrise until about 9 AM.

We have friends that live there and I had high hopes of finding rings just laying on top of the sand. The place was packed for miles. Friends said it was the busiest they had ever seen it. I would hunt it again just because it was fun. I just didn't put the coil over the really cool stuff and it remained......unfound. (I can honestly say I didn't hunt it super hard, My wife was with me most times and we were just enjoying being out in the nice weather since we really can't do that in PA.)

PS: if your one of the gentlemen who was using a minelab and hunting Deerfield Beach and reading this post...for gods sake pick up your trash finds. I'm pretty sure that's why they let people detect there to start with. I'm sure you find gold and jewelry on a regular basis as you get to hunt it everyday. It'd be a crying shame to see that all go away.

Did I mention the Bikinis?

Attachments

• 20150222_124009.jpg
    20150222_124009.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Upvote 2

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bravo for you! I always take out the trash, whether it's on a beach, or creekin' for shark's teeth. The sharp stuff saves someone's bare foot, the plastic bags and balloons save the critters who mistake them for jellyfish. Every little bit helps.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope a cop sees them and writes them a ticket for littering.
If I see someone do it... I flat out tell them to pick up THEIR trash...
certain beaches in Florida have locals that will definitely approach you and call the cops for littering.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for being a good Rep for our hobby!

I haven't been there in a very long time, does Deerfield Bch have a fishing pier?

SDBob

Jun 11, 2013
SE South Dakota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ5, Tesero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I are heading back to South Dakota today after a BEAUTIFUL 2 month stay here in Seminole Fl.
I detected at least 5 out of 7 days each week from St Pete beach to Clearwater, Ft.Desoto, & Honeymoon Island.
I found some cool stuff, lots of coins, and yes, 100's of bottle caps. Thank you to ARRC for some very helpful hints that resulted in a couple of really nice rings and some other bling.
Most of the other detectorists i saw were very polite and diligent picking up trash. I did run into a few newbies that I told to cover their holes and one guy was actually digging in the dunes. I told him that was a no no!
Thank you Florida for a great 2 months.......I'll be baaaack :)

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not quite sure why any detectorist wouldn't pick up trash. If they hunt the same beach they will be finding the same trash over and over. Doesn't make sense to me. Glad you had fun out there! By the way did you happen to see bikinis?

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Locals and trash. It had to be their upbringing. They probably never learned or were never properly mentored to remove the dug trash and fill their holes so unless they make the effort you see the end result.

Those of us that were mentored by the good guys now do it second nature by habit. I had a farmer ask me once why I bothered filling in my holes in his plowed field since it really didn't matter. I told him that it was a habit that I hoped to never lose.

OP
OP
U

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I couldn't really understand it and got angrier every time I saw it. You have it in the scoop, you look at in the scoop...how hard can it be to pick a bottle cap from the scoop and put in your pouch and go on. Now your going to hit on that bottle cap again tomorrow because you left it there. They do drag the beach every morning. I was trying to see if the drag had a magnet on it, but I couldn't tell. The detectorists were not the only litter bugs. Every morning there was a full crew out on the beach cleaning up empty water bottles, pop cans, etc. They have garbage cans in sets of two every hundred feet on that beach, it wouldn't be that much of a walk to throw your trash away.

I spend a lot of time walking around looking at the ground, even when I don't have a detector in my hand. I'm no "save the earth" nut or anything, but if it's there I pick it up. I would like to think that most others that detect do the same. I didn't really mean to rant, it was just an observation on the beach, I had a great time. Maybe I'm jealous of those guys that get to hunt the beach everyday with minelabs and I'm stuck in 12" of snow with another 8" forecast for the weekend....:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread