Define Art

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
A piece of mine was once in a Art show Titled "FAKE ART" which brought up the discussion of "whats art", and the art show was staged for that reason.

So I throw the Qusetion out. Whats Art? No copping out with "art is in the eye of the beholder either" thats a gimmie

What sets Picaso, Riembrant, Leonardo, Shultz, Rockwell, Rogers, Twain......... apart from the rest.
Not just painters either. Cartoonist, comedians, writters. etc...

Id say its realitivity, (as In "I (or the masses) can relate"). Timeing a Factor? yes definetly (the Mona Lisa painted today would take another 200 yrs "maybe" to be appreciated).

Lay it on me brother, reach deep, Im Like "all Ears man"

Albert

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Art is displaying your creative talents for all the world to see. It doesn't have to be beautiful or unique.... It's an expression of how you felt or what you were thinking at the time you created it.

DANGLANGLEY

Attachments

• Custer.jpg
    Custer.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 232
P

pippinwhitepaws

dang...read that question and went blank for 20 min....sheesh.
that question is like asking why humans are the only species on earth that has to pay to live here.

an i know art history professors come to blows over this question.

many aritsts were shunned in their life time...mona lisa...was not an instant hit...but an enduring message.

i've sold a bunch of art up in santa fe...if you want to meet some prima dona art freaks...sante fe...they might have an answer...but is it the correct one?

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Sooo what?? True lasting art? relative?? something that touches the masses (in its time period)?? something that sells??

I can Burp the ABC's....elougently. But who cares?

Im talkin "Art that Imortafies"....... everlasting art.
What is the connection that obtaines that link?

B

BIG61AL

art skill can be learned or be natural, however the ability to connect to the user must come from the art inself. I absolutely love Picasso's later work while my wife thinks its just goofy. Van Gogh died having sold only one painting while alive. Today he is considered one the top tier artists of all time. some of his best work is just renditions of simply still life flowers and just draws you in with it's pure beauty.

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
art is art - a decaying $12,000,000 shark in a tank of chemicals is art - as an example ::)
Good art is something that plucks that string inside you and the result resonates forever.

Mike

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Art is a manufactured concept, perpetrated by guess who, artists. Kinda like the whole Valentines day thing, Manufactured by Candy and flower producers. Now there's even an offshoot industry that's been created that of the art critic. Most artist both love and hate the art critic because most art critics are so full of crap it is disgusting to even hear the crap they spew. But at the same time if an art critic says this artists work is great, then the artist loves the critic and showers acclaim about this critics ability to appreciate art. It has been tested time and again, that what one person calls art is another persons trash. From the baby artist pictures which have been appraised and valued in the thousands to the Critic who once gave a Blue ribbon award at an art show to what he thought was the most inspired piece, which turned out to be some trash and cleaning supplies left in a corner by the janitor who was called to clean up where some one had previously become ill and vomited.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Art, the ability to portray a thought beyond normal/accepted means. The picture of a turtle made by my three year old using macaroni noodles, glue and sand is "art". The slow, methodical drip from a leaky faucet, can at times, be considered art. Both of the above examples may not garner a second thought from others but that does not make it any less of an art form to me.

Everyone is an artist and we are all experts in our own right. :thumbsup:

"A piece of mine was once in a Art show Titled "FAKE ART" "

Would appreciate the opportunity to view your "fake art", is that possible?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
art is the act of to trying by some means (visual, sound or written) to transmit to others your thoughts / points of view --via those images , sounds and or a mixture of both or written words --to invoke thought in them (good, bad or otherwize) feeling about what you did --its a effort to make others think about what you did , saw or thought. ---basically put its a attempt to comunicate with others. (and get some money in the process so you don't have to get a real job , and bust yer hump )

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FRENCH Connection said:
I can Burp the ABC's....elougently. But who cares?

LOL my kids would totally impressed! to them it would be art!!!

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
My contribution to the Fake art show. I dident get to attend as it was in new york so I dont know what else was there.

I dont think you can define art persay, but I do belive all really lasting pieces have somthing or two in common.

Attachments

• 000_1114.JPG
    000_1114.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 209

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FRENCH... i think thats really cool! i love it!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FRENCH Connection said:
My contribution to the Fake art show. I didn't get to attend as it was in New York so I don't know what else was there.

That sir, is "real" art. Make no mistake about it!
BTW what did you name it?

GG~

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Feeling

Intent

Desire

Contemplation

Vision

Imagination

Forming something from nothing

sharing

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Thanks yall but the thread wasent about my piece.
I belive anyone would have a hard time defining Fake art.
My Contribution was enterd annonumously and a outrages price asked for it, The whole show was about making fun of modern art and its critics, while questioning what really is art and why, thus the title fake art, so in order to define it youd first have to define art.

I never did name it, I threw the piece together in about 30 minutes with stuff i dug out of a washout on the Brazos river.
Shiped it to my buddy in Newyork whos wife was putting the show together.

I belive I signed the piece as by Becky Sawyer. ;D

I belive Art to be universally admired has to have a large group that somehow relates to the piece. It needs to touch many to withstand the test of time.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
But it's all subjective...and I feel most here have focused on what's been collectively accepted.

But what about at outsider/Intuitive art (hobo , prisoner, roadside etc...)?

http://www.art.org/

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
That was my point that Art is subjective, therefore undefinable. What I like isn't necessarily what you'll like so art can't be defined so it can't be criticized it is what ever it is to each individual. You French, got at least three compliments on what you meant to be a joke. So the only truth to art is do you like it and if so what will you pay to own it. I laugh at what some people hang in their homes and then tell me the vast sums of money they have paid for it. My walls are covered with pictures of my loved ones. I think no greater art has ever been, or ever will be created.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here we go.....

Tolstoy said art is art if it invokes the feelings or emotions in viewers that the artist felt.

However, I say art is art if someone says it is!

Take for example Salvador Dali. While his paintings are technically perfect, it invokes no feeling from me. So by that definition, it must not be art. Yet he is a famous artist!

Or Grandma Moses, bless her soul. Because a famous and influential New York art gallery owner liked her paintings and displayed them on his walls collectors bought them because the gallery owner said they were art.....get the picture?

So Albert, I say that your creation is art!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread