Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been religiously pounding every site I can from an 1869 map of my county, in no real order as well. I really do not know what took me so long to go look at this spot but I am glad I decided to go tonight. Got to the parking area and hiked out just as the sun was setting. First looks were not good, as its a well traveled area. I figure its probably been hit to death but I start swinging anyway. My very first signal, literally i turned my machine on and set it on the ground and got a tone, was a thimble. So I'm thinking "WOW I just got lucky." For the next few swings I'm listening to the normal symphony on nails and trash you usually find at cellar holes. Very quickly I hit another tone, the outside ring to a pocket watch. Now I'm getting curious.....first two holes resulting in finds...trying not to get my hopes up too much. 5 more minutes of swinging and digging a few pieces of junk, I hit a small d buckle. After that it was game on and things kept just popping up with out much effort at all. I only got to swing for 2 hours, but it worked out well. I can't believe it hasn't been searched yet, it is in plain sight! Guess I am one of very very few who hunt by me. Check out everything I pulled up. So the thimble has me confused, I'm thinking it is promotional from zig zag tobacco? I can't find one like it online yet.

20170928_200326_resized.jpg 20170928_200345_resized.jpg 20170928_200358_resized.jpg 20170928_202321_001_resized.jpg

Upvote 22

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You definitely have enough indicators of some potentially cool coins and relics popping up around there. Nice spot and recoveries.:icon_thumright:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best relic to me - bottom middle - back end of a seal top spoon - circa 1600s
I find those (or the bowl end) and I get excited - means potential for 1600 - early 1700s finds

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find those (or the bowl end) and I get excited - means potential for 1600 - early 1700s finds

Not even close to 1600s or 1700s in this area. The original settlers moved in literally like 1800 or 1801. Are you talking about the bugle or trumpet mouth piece? or the fork on the bottom? I'm thinking this hole was settled some time between 1810 to 1860

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not even close to 1600s or 1700s in this area. The original settlers moved in literally like 1800 or 1801. Are you talking about the bugle or trumpet mouth piece? or the fork on the bottom? I'm thinking this hole was settled some time between 1810 to 1860
Yes some think that settlement didn`t happen to after Gen.Sullivan came through in 1779.
Lot of early English here called Greenies here with the Seneca over 400 at the Newtown Battle Field.
Gen.Sullivan`s men Noted English corn fields... from Indians corn fields all around here.
Newtown was named just that ....an empty new site of newly English built Storage sheds/small barns for all the corn,Mellon,squash,beans,apples,pears to feed their troops and Indians fighting the settlers down state.

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hit a couple sites recently with finds similar to yours. Sometimes it takes the second or third return trip slowing down to squeak out the coins. Congrats and good luck!

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I've been trying to find an old map of my town, but have not had any luck, which is odd, considering it's a town very well known historically during colonial times.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was thinking pipe tamper but would have to see the end

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking pipe tamper but would have to see the end

its for sure a bugle or trumpet mouth piece, no doubt in my mind

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes some think that settlement didn`t happen to after Gen.Sullivan came through in 1779.
Lot of early English here called Greenies here with the Seneca over 400 at the Newtown Battle Field.
Gen.Sullivan`s men Noted English corn fields... from Indians corn fields all around here.
Newtown was named just that ....an empty new site of newly English built Storage sheds/small barns for all the corn,Mellon,squash,beans,apples,pears to feed their troops and Indians fighting the settlers down state.

Interesting. I'll have to look into that, but this site is most def from mid 1800s. But I have heard of an earlier settlement way further on down the road that disbanded to what the surrounding towns now are.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I've been trying to find an old map of my town, but have not had any luck, which is odd, considering it's a town very well known historically during colonial times.

whats your town? maybe i can find something, also take a trip to your town records and request copies of old maps. There were also state surveys done that list every house and owner at the time.(atleast there are in ny the earliest for my area i can find is a 1850 something survey)

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The people that came here soon after the Rev. War... packed up everything in their homes grandma and pa and their stuff back in the east and brought the older stuff with them...so finding much older stuff is common around older sites.
Gary

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people that came here soon after the Rev. War... packed up everything in their homes grandma and pa and their stuff back in the east and brought the older stuff with them...so finding much older stuff is common around older sites.
Gary

thats what I figured, especially when i found a tombac button the other day. Stuff just wasn't thrown out like people do today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread