Dejavu its a "On-Top of the ground Coin-Spill" / "Penny Tri-fecta" !!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dejavu its a "On-Top of the ground Coin-Spill" / "Penny Tri-fecta" !!!

In some of my latest reply post I had mentioned that you never know what will turn up next!! Dejavu time its that day! I was detecting around the front of a building around some divider post with welded pipe rails. Detector locates a penny signal used my propointer to find a 1975 Canadian penny on top of the ground, there was enough grass the coin was invisible. Sweep my search coil again and still more penny signal moved some grass and then found another penny on top of the soil and its a 1958 wheat penny and start getting a bit excited wondering whats going on? Sweep my coil again over the spot and now oh-no there is still more signal! Hmm its a bit lower a 38 conductive wise then on checking pinpoint its shallow also and moved the grass around and what ?? Its another coin on top of the ground and its a freaking IHP my first this year a 1905 and then it hits me! That OMG moment of realizing I just gotten my first ever "On-Top of the ground Coin-Spill" / "Penny Tri-fecta" !!! I was fueled up for the rest of the whole hunt !!

8_15_2014 coinspill trifecta pennies front.jpg 8_15_2014 coinspill trifecta pennies obv.jpg

They say its the little things that matter !! Well for Detectorist its usually the cents LOL , being the most commonly found coin, some kid must have been carrying their collection around and done some tricks on the pole fence or they just had some coins they needed to spend maybe, who will ever know? Its too bad that these coins cannot talk !!

Here is an interesting piece of foil that was found. Maybe it is an old suntanning oil label or not so old. Anyone know?

8_15_2014 tanning oil maybe.jpg

Here are the rest of todays finds:

8_15_2014 finds minus trifecta n foil label.jpg

Note the interesting pull-tab with the $$$ wonder if that contest is expired and how much money was lost by tossing this tab out??? Middle right got a small key looks a bit old with that Lion on it. And below that there is a super strong hair snap, wonder if they make them like that still? Over that are some wheats one is covered with paving so need to buy some brake cleaner to see date. Other two are 1941 and 1957. Getting sixteen quarters seems pretty good for out here, this area tends to be poor but today it was nice getting that many !!

Thanks for stopping by and hope you have a great hunt tomorrow, because you never really know what will turn up next !!

Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great trip, nice way to zero in on all those pennies.

Thanks for the reply tyrocksalot, used my small coil it probably allowed me to get closer to the welded pipes than my regular one! Bigger search-coil might have missed the pennies.

Nice finds! That IH cent looks to be in pretty good condition.

Thanks WW =) Yeah I've never found a freshly dropped IHP before it was a very unexpected finding !

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are the odds ?? You just never know what you'll find.

They're in beautiful shape. Congrats.

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are the odds ?? You just never know what you'll find.

They're in beautiful shape. Congrats.

Hi G424 thanks for the reply , doubt it will ever happen again to me lol ! So true about never knowing whats out there !

Thanks bro !

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty darn cool

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for the pics

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the penny spill. And they're all in fantastic shape. Gas money on top of all that! What a great day. Congrats.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats on cool penny trifecta! :headbang: Sounds more fun than a kid's Easter egg hunt, lol. :tongue3: I've yet to find an Indian. Andi

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very interesting little trifecta there - I'd be delighted to find those - Looking forward to detecting my first Indian Head cent .

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A very interesting little trifecta there - I'd be delighted to find those - Looking forward to detecting my first Indian Head cent .

Hi Argentium thanks ! Looks like that is the Only IHP for my finds this year, might get a few more hunts in but it looks like the cold weather is closing in, its 39 degrees F outside today with some wind and rain !

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, What are the chances of a 1975 Canada Cent, a wheat penny. and an Indian being in a coin spill, and being on the surface is just amazing!

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, What are the chances of a 1975 Canada Cent, a wheat penny. and an Indian being in a coin spill, and being on the surface is just amazing!

Yeah theres no freaking way I will ever get a repeat of this one !!! I think it was karma from the class ring return maybe =)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah theres no freaking way I will ever get a repeat of this one !!! I think it was karma from the class ring return maybe =)
That stuff is real man! I returned 2 rings last week and got my dream find Sunday. Great finds bud

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That stuff is real man! I returned 2 rings last week and got my dream find Sunday. Great finds bud

Hi Ahab8 ! I think you are right ! Congrats on your Banner too ! Never will get any coins as fantastic those here but who knows finding a relatively new gold coin could still be a possibility, just have to get my coil over that right spot of soil to master the impossibility !!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a new drop of some old coins. Wonderful surprise!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a sweet spill! The odds of finding those coins that way were a gazillion to 1. That my friend is what makes this hobby so wonderful. Congrats on a fun and rewarding hunt.:occasion14:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:notworthy: Totally cool hunt & thanks for the great description. :notworthy: My first IH cent still eludes me though my son has dug them just yards from where I dug, lol. Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread