DeLorme

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 3 (4?) gps units and DELORME TOPO 4 series (CA, AZ, NV, WI ) Can I help? I'm a wiz with map and compass and GPS, even if I must pat myself on the back. Really. TTC

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
Hey TTC, do you do much with Garmin units? I am using NW USA topo (which I have on my main computer, but can no longer locate online now that I have it) as well as the NW topo map from switchbacks.com. My question is this, does the $100 or commerical map have any information on it to make it worth buying over the 2 freebies I already have? If not for cost and in 4x4 storage I would have the real deal large sized USGS topo maps for everywhere I go. On my own I tend to get spun around some out in the wilds, but with a good map in hand I am pretty solid

-Lance

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darshevo said:
Hey TTC, do you do much with Garmin units? I am using NW USA topo (which I have on my main computer, but can no longer locate online now that I have it) as well as the NW topo map from switchbacks.com. My question is this, does the $100 or commerical map have any information on it to make it worth buying over the 2 freebies I already have? If not for cost and in 4x4 storage I would have the real deal large sized USGS topo maps for everywhere I go. On my own I tend to get spun around some out in the wilds, but with a good map in hand I am pretty solid

-Lance
All my units are Garmins: 2 e-treks, a Map76 CSx, and an auto unit. The map software I have on my computers is the TOPO 4. I have purchased 4 of the series, including CA. I bought the individual states when they were 99 dollars apiece. They now sell for about 50 dollars apiece. I don't own the NW USA or any freebies so I cannot compare. I do know that the TOPO 4 series does all I need as far as topo quadrangles go. I have several options when printing which includes printing at the same scale as the 7 1/2 minute quads (1:24000). That is to say, the maps I can print for my personal use are EXACTLY like the quads that are purchased separately at a store. Put the printed product against the store bought quad and they are identical in every aspect. That to me is worth the expense. I also have full-size quads (store bought) of areas I frequent as a back-up but they rarely go into the field. I do not advocate using the very small display of a gps as a replacement for a map. Just old fashioned I guess. Was I of any help? Hope so. TTC

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
Thanks for the info. I am with you as far as screen size goes. I have DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer issues for all the states I travel through. Generally I use the GPS to keep myself oriented in there (round and round on logging/fire roads I can get a little crossed up)

Might make a run out to Cabelas in the next day or 3 and check out the map packs. Wanted a personal opinion before I got too crazy

-Lance

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darshevo said:
Thanks for the info. I am with you as far as screen size goes. I have DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer issues for all the states I travel through. Generally I use the GPS to keep myself oriented in there (round and round on logging/fire roads I can get a little crossed up)

Might make a run out to Cabelas in the next day or 3 and check out the map packs. Wanted a personal opinion before I got too crazy

-Lance
REI and other outdoors stores also carry the TOPO 4 series. If your Cabelas is very close..... ah, one of my kind of places! TOPO 4 has a free update download. Not quite so. You get downloads but then it DRIES UP after several downloads. Download those areas you plan to use often. Then use up the rest on other places. TTC

utah1066

Nov 10, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
TITAN 3000 XD ,DFX, Minelab X-Terra 705 L Rods
I have Delorme on my laptop but I do not have any topo maps do you know were i can down load any free ones for UT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread