DeLorme

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find treasure maps all but worthless. If you compare them to known topographic maps like those available from DeLorme, nothing seems to fit. While roads come and go, it takes many, many years for creeks to meander. Even when they do, it isn't miles from their starting point. In any case, treasure maps never depict creeks or streams correctly.

Using old maps to find ghost towns is just as rewarding! My best luck in locating ghost towns is using a combination of DeLorme topographical maps, and of all things, Google Earth! For example, the old town of Globe, NM is shown on old maps at the Historical Society as being on old county road #1. In reality, it is near road #2, about 20 miles from where the old map shows it is.

Someone ask about overlays. I've done a few and here is how I do it. All DeLorme topographic maps are 1:300,000 scale. Treasure maps, and old historical maps may be anything. To get them close to one another, I scan the DeLorme map into a layer of Photoshop. I scan the second map into another layer, and superimpose them. You can adjust the size of either layer using common formations as a focal points. In some cases, Google Earth will give you a better point of view (no pun intended) to locate common formations. This is exactly how I found the correct location of Globe, NM. Or what's left of it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread