Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased a new delta 4000 (newer version with only 1 headphone jack)

I have found what I believe to be bugs in the firmware and wondering if anyone else has the same behavior on theirs...

Bug #1: When in discriminate mode the volume has to be set to 3 or higher to hear the high pitch tone, and when it is set to 3 or higher the high pitch tone is of a much lower volume then the med or low pitch tones. I was running at volume 1 when I 1st noticed this...missing a lot!

Bug #2: When setting the volume level the key press tone is of a high pitch and low volume if your in discriminate mode, but id you are in A1 or A2 modes the key press tone is a low tone and at high volume!

Bug #3: When volume is set to 0 the overload sound still is quite loud.

The volume setting is for all modes BUT each mode has it's own sensitivity setting which seems right....

and I have also noticed the "reset delay" that sometimes happens during scanning that others have talked about here...but I haven't noticed the pinpoint button problem that I have read about from someone here.

Being such a low power metal detector makes it great for battery life but I have noticed susceptible to power line interference requiring the sensitivity to be lowered resulting in a less detectable depth in such environments.

UPDATE: It seems Teknetics are aware of the issue as it states in the manual; "At levels 1, 2 and 3, high tones will be inaudible or
barely audible."
RTFM right? ;-)
As for the EMI issue, This detector is so sensitive (HOT) that you need to turn down the sensitivity around power lines as a lot of detectors have issues with EMI when set hot.

So it appears the ONLY real problem with the 4000 is the volume adjust key tones in modes A1 and A2 and the overload tone is always loud (which can scare the bejeasus out of ya when running low volume)

Over all I give this detector 9 out of 10 for it's price range and I have never found a 10 out of 10 at this price and probably never will.

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Centar
I was not aware of the newer Teknetics with 1 headphone jack...first one 1 jack, then 2, now back to one..i liked 2 phone jacks... Bug1 and 2...does the detector do this on the speaker and the head phones ?
Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure which version is newer, the 1 headphone jack or 2 headphone jack version...

It does the same thing with headphones except you can still barely hear the high tone at volume setting 2 but not at 1...for the speaker it needs to be at volume level 3 or higher....it seems as though the high pitch tone adjustment volume range is much more than the other 2 tones...so to get a comfortable listening level I have to leave the volume at default and use headphones that have their own volume adjust.

Leopard11

Jan 30, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetic Delta 4000 and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Delta has 2 jacks. Volume has never worked stays the same no mater what u set it to. Ive actually found a few coins with the 8" coil. Upgraded to the 11" dd coil and have never found a single coin. My wife buried some change in the back yard a year ago and its still out there. Maybe 3 or 4". Sensitive trouble at times but I turn it down until it stops chatter. I don't even this unit recognizes coins in the ground with the dd coil. Its absolutely useless. Just a box that beeps at random trash. Pinpoint is a joke. Other modes useless it just reports the same random numbers from junk. Set disc to 80 and eventually find the peice of junk metal. Not tone friendly either looooooooong tones every time. I cant imagine having this for over a year and not running into a clad coin. My theory is it passes them up. Least my by ss II will find coins and all metal mode help avoid trash. Teknetics sure got the best of me $450 for a beeping box that has useless features. Buyer beware you have been warned. Teknetics shame shame.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
>Everyone: the Tek Delta is widely regarded as one of the best performance per dollar values in its price range, and good enough in disc mode to come close to the performance of much higher priced machines. Some of our products don't have "fan clubs" but this one really does.

>Centar: the Delta was originally introduced with a 1/8 headphone jack. Later, a 1/4" jack was added. We found out that with the 1/4 inch jack, very few customers wanted the 1/8" jack, so nowadays it's just the 1/4 inch jack. ........With regard to the volume adjustment and high tone, different ears hear different things, when it comes to sound there is no one right answer for everyone. It's not a software bug.

>Leopard11: under most conditions the Delta will outshoot any BH other than the Platinum, although to do so you may have to adjust your searching style since the behaviours of the Delta and the SS2 are very different. ...............I can already see that there may be problems on your end. Setting disc to 80 is something you shouldn't do other than in the trashiest conditions with the Delta or any other metal detector. DD's pinpoint different from concentrics, I actually prefer how DD's pinpoint but that's because I have over 30 years experience with them. If you're getting chatter from electrical interference, a large DD will usually make that problem worse: concentrics are usually better in high EMI environments. ........Your report of "loooooooong tones every time" is puzzling, since the Delta is designed for quickness. The Delta has a 5 year warranty, if you don't think it's working right please call Teknetics customer service at 915 633-8354 and see if the problem can be resolved over the phone, and if not send it in to have it fixed.

--Dave J.

Leopard11

Jan 30, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me I want my delta to perform well. I bought it due to good fan base reviews etc. The 80 disc is just really a last ditch effort when all else fails and in chasing ghosts I will try that out of desperation on the chance I should get a solid 83 or 88 and get a clad to be reassured this unit works right. But even then it doesn't. For now I think I will put the 8" coil on and see how it does. If it does well then there has to be a problem with the dd and unit communication or something to the effect.

OP
OP
C

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" different ears hear different things" ....either I am deaf and imaging sounds, as I said at volume 1 there is NO high pitch tone in speaker or headphones and when set to ZERO the error sound is still quite loud...that is a technical problem, firmware or not...As for performance it is a very sensitive unit that seems to work as good as more expensive units...GREAT MD except for the volume problems.

As for the headphone jacks, I think you meant that now days it's just the 1/8 inch plug (as that is much more popular these days)

Jun 5, 2013
SK, Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" different ears hear different things" ....either I am deaf and imaging sounds, as I said at volume 1 there is NO high pitch tone in speaker or headphones and when set to ZERO the error sound is still quite loud...that is a technical problem, firmware or not...As for performance it is a very sensitive unit that seems to work as good as more expensive units...GREAT MD except for the volume problems.

As for the headphone jacks, I think you meant that now days it's just the 1/8 inch plug (as that is much more popular these days)

Same with mine... when the volume is set at 3 or lower, and the reading is "84", you can't hear it with the built-in speaker OR headphones. VERY IMPORTANT that volume is maintained at 4 or higher.

OP
OP
C

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same with mine... when the volume is set at 3 or lower, and the reading is "84", you can't hear it with the built-in speaker OR headphones. VERY IMPORTANT that volume is maintained at 4 or higher.

Mine will actually produce a faint tone in speaker at 84 on volume 3 and a faint tone in headphones at 84 on volume 2...
Try setting your volume to 0 at then bring search coil very close to metal and see if the overload tone still is audible, mine is and quite loud too....
Also try adjust your volume in desc mode and then in all metal modes and see if there is a difference in the key press tone (mine is loud and awful in all metal modes and correct in desc mode) the volume setting on mine remains the same in all modes which makes sense...

OP
OP
C

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: It seems Teknetics are aware of the issue as it states in the manual; "At levels 1, 2 and 3, high tones will be inaudible or
barely audible."
RTFM right? ;-)
As for the EMI issue, This detector is so sensitive (HOT) that you need to turn down the sensitivity around power lines as a lot of detectors have issues with EMI when set hot.

So it appears the ONLY real problem with the 4000 is the volume adjust key tones in modes A1 and A2 and the overload tone is always loud (which can scare the bejeasus out of ya when running low volume)

Over all I give this detector 9 out of 10 for it's price range and I have never found a 10 out of 10 at this price and probably never will.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Centar

Aug 4, 2013
Newfoundland Canada
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Delta has 2 jacks. Volume has never worked stays the same no mater what u set it to.

Your Delta 4000 is defective then and needs to be repaired/replaced.....as none of the versions are like that.

Leopard11

Jan 30, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for late update but it must have been bad headphones, my works properly as for volume. I went back to the 8" stock coil and am finding coins again. The 11" dd I guess I need practice maybe? Plus I get almost same depth with the 8 coil and less chatter. I love to hear that sound a coin makes when pin pointing that short loud BRRNN! Who knows maybe ill find my first silver coin soon.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Delta has 2 jacks. Volume has never worked stays the same no mater what u set it to. Ive actually found a few coins with the 8" coil. Upgraded to the 11" dd coil and have never found a single coin. My wife buried some change in the back yard a year ago and its still out there. Maybe 3 or 4". Sensitive trouble at times but I turn it down until it stops chatter. I don't even this unit recognizes coins in the ground with the dd coil. Its absolutely useless. Just a box that beeps at random trash. Pinpoint is a joke. Other modes useless it just reports the same random numbers from junk. Set disc to 80 and eventually find the peice of junk metal. Not tone friendly either looooooooong tones every time. I cant imagine having this for over a year and not running into a clad coin. My theory is it passes them up. Least my by ss II will find coins and all metal mode help avoid trash. Teknetics sure got the best of me $450 for a beeping box that has useless features. Buyer beware you have been warned. Teknetics shame shame.

$450?

Leopard11

Jan 30, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes bought it when it first came out for about $275 with discount from kellyco. A year and some months later they come out with the 11" DD coil for $175 so I got that too.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes bought it when it first came out for about $275 with discount from kellyco. A year and some months later they come out with the 11" DD coil for $175 so I got that too.

Oh :o

dham

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>Everyone: the Tek Delta is widely regarded as one of the best performance per dollar values in its price range, and good enough in disc mode to come close to the performance of much higher priced machines. Some of our products don't have "fan clubs" but this one really does.

>Centar: the Delta was originally introduced with a 1/8 headphone jack. Later, a 1/4" jack was added. We found out that with the 1/4 inch jack, very few customers wanted the 1/8" jack, so nowadays it's just the 1/4 inch jack. ........With regard to the volume adjustment and high tone, different ears hear different things, when it comes to sound there is no one right answer for everyone. It's not a software bug.

>Leopard11: under most conditions the Delta will outshoot any BH other than the Platinum, although to do so you may have to adjust your searching style since the behaviours of the Delta and the SS2 are very different. ...............I can already see that there may be problems on your end. Setting disc to 80 is something you shouldn't do other than in the trashiest conditions with the Delta or any other metal detector. DD's pinpoint different from concentrics, I actually prefer how DD's pinpoint but that's because I have over 30 years experience with them. If you're getting chatter from electrical interference, a large DD will usually make that problem worse: concentrics are usually better in high EMI environments. ........Your report of "loooooooong tones every time" is puzzling, since the Delta is designed for quickness. The Delta has a 5 year warranty, if you don't think it's working right please call Teknetics customer service at 915 633-8354 and see if the problem can be resolved over the phone, and if not send it in to have it fixed.

--Dave J.

Hello, I recently purchased a new Delta 4000. It has 2 jacks instead of one. Does that mean I received an "old stock" unit. i read in some of the other treasure hunting forums that the newest models also included upgraded coil/cables that prevent interference. Should I return my unit and exchange it for the newest model?

Thanks

skeeter86

Oct 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad I bought a TEK 4000 It's good to see the designer cares enough about his product to answer a customers concerns!!!!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm glad I bought a TEK 4000 It's good to see the designer cares enough about his product to answer a customers concerns!!!!
Yep
That is "World Class Customer Service" IMO.
Gary

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My carry unit the alpha 2000 that i haul around with me,works real good for a bottom of the line machine,sounds like a machine gun in the trash,fast recovery..But yea if you turn the volume down you lose the targets i'm after,upper end coins..That is not normal that volume controls the discrimination,and, in a reverse pattern..nocking out high end targets..They need to correct that because the greeks are so light and very good in the trash,deep too..S.T

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would have been cool if it was the opposite where lower condutors such as iron were weaker as the volume is turned up.That would make scence as you could still run 0 disc for hunting in the trash and weak'in the low iron sounds but not disc them out.Then you could hear targets in the iron better without masking target as much..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions