delta 4000 test

Osage

Aug 28, 2006
I just bought this machine. I did a few test I thought I would share. I ran three tests and here are the results:

Test 1
All metal sensitivity at 10, volume at 10. Result must show clearly on the display screen.

Barber quarter 8"
Mercury dime 7"
Indian Head penny 6"
Buffalo nickel 6"

Test 2
Sens at 10, disc. at 10, volume 10. Result must show clearly on the display screen.

Barber quarter 8"
Mercury dime 7"
Indian Head penny 6"
Buffalo nickel 7"

Test 3
Sens at 11, disc at 40, volume 10. Result must show clearly on the display screen.

Barber quarter 8"
Mercury dime 7"
Indian Head penny 5"
Buffalo nickel 7"

The all metal test required a good display reading because the mode does not have multiple sounds so display is essential.
I required test 2 and 3 to have good display readings because that is how I will use the machine. Numbers would be inflated if I only used sound for the air test.

I realize some do not put much stock in air test for various reasons. If I was looking to buy I would prefer a machine that got 8" on a quarter rather that 4" though.:laughing7:

I posted this on another site as well.

While not as deep as the White's 5900/Id PRO sl cb I recently sold (just too heavy) it's deep enough and the display seems good. I'm pretty impressed with the Delta after only a few days.

I have enjoyed reading the post here.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought this machine. I did a few test I thought I would share. I ran three tests and here are the results:

Test 1
All metal sensitivity at 10, volume at 10. Result must show clearly on the display screen.

Barber quarter 8"
Mercury dime 7"
Indian Head penny 6"
Buffalo nickel 6"

Test 2
Sens at 10, disc. at 10, volume 10. Result must show clearly on the display screen.

Barber quarter 8"
Mercury dime 7"
Indian Head penny 6"
Buffalo nickel 7"

Test 3
Sens at 11, disc at 40, volume 10. Result must show clearly on the display screen.

Barber quarter 8"
Mercury dime 7"
Indian Head penny 5"
Buffalo nickel 7"

The all metal test required a good display reading because the mode does not have multiple sounds so display is essential.
I required test 2 and 3 to have good display readings because that is how I will use the machine. Numbers would be inflated if I only used sound for the air test.

I realize some do not put much stock in air test for various reasons. If I was looking to buy I would prefer a machine that got 8" on a quarter rather that 4" though.:laughing7:

I posted this on another site as well.

While not as deep as the White's 5900/Id PRO sl cb I recently sold (just too heavy) it's deep enough and the display seems good. I'm pretty impressed with the Delta after only a few days.

I have enjoyed reading the post here.

The Teknetics greek detectors seem to be very good performers. I found my F2 would hit about 8" in air on a quarter with no disc. However, in good moist ground I have found dimes at 10" with the 8" coil. I recently got an Omega & am very pleased with it. FTP makes some great products.

OP
OP
O

Osage

Aug 28, 2006
The Teknetics greek detectors seem to be very good performers. I found my F2 would hit about 8" in air on a quarter with no disc. However, in good moist ground I have found dimes at 10" with the 8" coil. I recently got an Omega & am very pleased with it. FTP makes some great products.

I decided to run one more test on this delta after reviewing other air test on you tube. It appears that many of these test are done in all metal no discrimination. this test is to have a more comparative example.

Test all metal, high sensitivity

Barber Quarter 10"
Merc. Dime 8"
Buffalo nickel 9 1/2"
Indian Penny 9"

I paid no attention to display screen. Just required a clear repeatable tone.
Thanks,

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to run one more test on this delta after reviewing other air test on you tube. It appears that many of these test are done in all metal no discrimination. this test is to have a more comparative example.

Test all metal, high sensitivity

Barber Quarter 10"
Merc. Dime 8"
Buffalo nickel 9 1/2"
Indian Penny 9"

I paid no attention to display screen. Just required a clear repeatable tone.
Thanks,

Those air test numbers are very close to what I got with my X-Terra 505. Not bad at all!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting results. Although the Delta will often surprise you in the actual dirt. I've dug some pretty deep targets; especially in red clay. I guess the higher mineralization creates better conductivity or something.

I have to say though, I NEVER run my volume above 4. It's just too freakin' loud for me even at 5.

Although at 3, the high tone becomes almost inaudible. I think I read somewhere that this was a glitch at some point and has been corrected.
But for me personally, 4 is perfect; not too loud, not too quiet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Osage

Aug 28, 2006
Interesting results. Although the Delta will often surprise you in the actual dirt. I've dug some pretty deep targets; especially in red clay. I guess the higher mineralization creates better conductivity or something.

I have to say though, I NEVER run my volume above 4. It's just too freakin' loud for me even at 5.

Although at 3, the high tone becomes almost inaudible. 4 is perfect; not to loud, not to quiet. I think I read somewhere that this was a glitch at some point and has been corrected.

I believe Monte suggested using 10 for volume. My memory could be wrong. I do use adjustable ear phones. I also believe that the Alpha needed to have a high volume to be more sensitive to silver.
Thanks,

[ Matter of fact, I also haven't had a Delta fail to out-perform an Ace 250 with the exception of hunting in dense nail environments or where I wanted (needed) a true zero Disc. option. The Delta doesn't adjust that low.

Did you double check the setting? Notch (Off), Disc. (minimum setting to be at '10'), Volume (set at maximum), and Sensitivity (as high as tolerable for the location). Check the settings and re-test the gold pendent.

Monte ]

Bob, I don't believe this is what I was referring to but something to ponder.

Last edited:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill disagree on the ACE aspect, i have an ACE 150 with the 9" pro-formance coil and it air tests exactly at 9" on a quarter, nickel and penny at maximum sensitivity all bars. I love the little ACE 150, it rides in my trunk with the Compadre. The ACE 150 has the exact same depth capabilities as the ACE 250 using the same coil, Ive airtested both side by side. The Delta 4000 at 12 sensitivity will air test 11" on a quarter all day and recovery speed is much faster. In my test garden it reaches down to my 10" nickel without fail and at times hears my 12" quarter (wetsoil), this is with the 8" concentric coil!!!. The ACE 150 is silent on both counts.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in the field (which is where it counts) --I have often hit clad dimes and older solid copper pre 83 cents at about 10 inches or so --have hit quarters at up to 12 inches ...these are best cases normally say -- 8 inches for dimes and say 10 inches for quarters ..nickles say 8 inches on average

OP
OP
O

Osage

Aug 28, 2006
My criterion on the first three test was a good screen display. The fourth test is close to what you normally get in the field. My idea of clear and repeatable may be different on the fourth test.

It's been raining here for so long and the ground so muddy I have not been able to get out since I bought my delta.

Judging by all of our test this machine is plenty deep enough. At my age a lot of deep holes does not equate to a fun hunt.:laughing7:

Thanks fellers,

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe Monte suggested using 10 for volume. My memory could be wrong. I do use adjustable ear phones. I also believe that the Alpha needed to have a high volume to be more sensitive to silver.
Thanks,

[ Matter of fact, I also haven't had a Delta fail to out-perform an Ace 250 with the exception of hunting in dense nail environments or where I wanted (needed) a true zero Disc. option. The Delta doesn't adjust that low.

Did you double check the setting? Notch (Off), Disc. (minimum setting to be at '10'), Volume (set at maximum), and Sensitivity (as high as tolerable for the location). Check the settings and re-test the gold pendent.

Monte ]

Bob, I don't believe this is what I was referring to but something to ponder.

I was actually talking about the volume adjustment, not the disc. I always keep it at 4.

Lately I've been hunting with zero disc (in areas that aren't too iron laden) although I mostly ran it at 40 last year with great results. I always run my sens as high as possible regardless of the disc settings.

I notice that when I run disc at 10 my overall numbers are more accurate. When you kick the disc up and swing over a heavy iron signal it can sometimes just kick it up into the 50's range which is just not accurate. I can usually tell though.

When it grunts and pops at 40 disc it's sometimes an iron target getting kicked up regardless of the number on the screen. Of course, that could also be small gold so you have to pay attention and be willing to dig "trash".

That's why we have to really learn the language of any machine because they can only make a best guess under whatever conditions are in play.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Osage

Aug 28, 2006
I was actually talking about the volume adjustment, not the disc. I always keep it at 4.

Lately I've been hunting with zero disc (in areas that aren't to iron laden) although I mostly ran it at 40 last year with great results. I always run my sens as high as possible regardless of the disc settings.

I notice that when I run disc at 10 my overall numbers are more accurate. When you kick the disc up and swing over a heavy iron signal it can sometimes just kick it up into the 50's range which is just not accurate. I can usually tell though.

When it grunts and pops at 40 disc it's sometimes an iron target getting kicked up regardless of the number on the screen. Of course, that could also be small gold so you have to pay attention and be willing to dig "trash".

That's why we have to really learn the language of any machine because they can only make a best guess under whatever conditions are in play.

[Of the two you ask about, the Delta is a very good entry-level unit, but I find the Gamma and Omega to be better for more serious hunting due to the improved Disc. adjustment as well as their ability to fine-tune the Disc. setting as well as adjust to the ground environment I am hunting. With models that have a Volume control, make sure it is set at the maximum setting for peak performance.

They share the same search coils and both can satisfy most detector operators, but the Gamma is the more flexible or versatile. The answer really gets down to what features to you want or not want? I hunt a lot of different ground environments and prefer to have an auto-mated or manual GB model.

Monte]

I found the comment from Monte regarding volume control. Perhaps you will find it helpful.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread