Depleted uranium bullet and others

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
Was at the park Iv been hunting and I was just detecting in a clearing in the middle of the woods and kept finding bullets so I figured it was someone's shooting range at one point then I find an unknown object, it was extremely dense and was so heavy. I couldn't find out what it was, even the shape was odd. I went to target world the next day to pick up some 12 gage ammo and figured I would show the guy the object and see what he thought. After 30 seconds he said it was a depleted uranium tank busting round that would be shot out of a jet! He thought maybe someone who was in the military took one and just kept it in their ammo bag as a souvenir and then one day dropped it and didn't realize it. I tested it with a Geiger counter in my chemistry class and it's not radioactive so that ones going on the shelf for sure.

Attachments

• image-40346391.jpg
    image-40346391.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 427
  • image-3702412910.jpg
    image-3702412910.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 267
Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks kinda small for blowing up tanks :icon_scratch:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
?? du round i wouldn't touch it ,,was there any dead veg around area you found it,, if it is a du rnd get rid of it

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 30mm with D/U ammo is what the A-10 rips em with. May not look big but will sure do the damage. Not sure that is a 30mm but it may be. The Apache also deals out its share with them. :evil6:

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow wild find :)
Here's a link to wikipedia .. part way through it mentions
"the US Defense Department states DU used in US munitions has 60% the radioactivity of natural uranium."" Depleted uranium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok I don't know how much that actually is in reality and weather its more or less than those household "smoke detectors" but,, I would be keen to find another Geiger counter too lol..

Rhotel1

Sep 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DU - probably not

?? du round i wouldn't touch it ,,was there any dead veg around area you found it,, if it is a du rnd get rid of it

It is probably not DU, but even if it were, it would not kill vegetation. Uranium-238 is a very common elemental isotope. If all the claims about DU were true, the human race would be long extinct as would every other species on the planet. Every single reader of this thread consumes a fraction of a microgram of DU every day that they are alive. That's how common U-238 is. Write me at DUStory dash owner at yahoo groups dot com or just go to the group and learn more. I welcome correspondence so that I can provide some of the many facts I have learned in over seven years research into my deadly serious hobby.

The Wikipedia article on DU is dominantly written by anti-DU activists and contains a lot of inaccurate information. It does, however, show accurate picture of a 30mm DU penetrator - it is about the diameter of a dime - the rest of the 30mm diameter is filled with the aluminum shroud that protects the gun barrel from the intensely hard penetrator round. Many DU penetrators that were fired from the A10 still are within the shroud and the DU itself has not even been exposed to the environment.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe i am just going off what i can remember from basic training , anyhow happy hunting an welcome to t-net
It is probably not DU, but even if it were, it would not kill vegetation. Uranium-238 is a very common elemental isotope. If all the claims about DU were true, the human race would be long extinct as would every other species on the planet. Every single reader of this thread consumes a fraction of a microgram of DU every day that they are alive. That's how common U-238 is. Write me at DUStory dash owner at yahoo groups dot com or just go to the group and learn more. I welcome correspondence so that I can provide some of the many facts I have learned in over seven years research into my deadly serious hobby.

The Wikipedia article on DU is dominantly written by anti-DU activists and contains a lot of inaccurate information. It does, however, show accurate picture of a 30mm DU penetrator - it is about the diameter of a dime - the rest of the 30mm diameter is filled with the aluminum shroud that protects the gun barrel from the intensely hard penetrator round. Many DU penetrators that were fired from the A10 still are within the shroud and the DU itself has not even been exposed to the environment.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
250px-30mm_DU_slug.jpg I don't know anything about DU rounds ,Except that they do a number on Tanks, But I do know how big 30mm is,
A Kennedy Half is just over 30.5 mm. So just from looking I don't think you have a DU round. jmho

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not DU. The guy you talked to was engaging in bovine scattegory.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats not DU. The guy you talked to was engaging in bovine scattegory.
Nice collection of shells :occasion14:
gunrunner61 posted the correct pic of DU 30mm projectile.
Your item like part from a needle and seat type valve.

HH, Herbie.
6695230-0-large.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread