Depth for the Omega 8000

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks happercamper08 for your reply. Reason I asked is that one person I know ( calls himself a pro ) says he finds quarters at this depth which I don't buy his story. I'm sure the omega 8000 is a fine machine and in this case it is more about the person than the equipment...

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HappyCamper is correct. I own an 8000 and use it for hunting parks/lots and the best I have hit a quarter at was between 8 and 9" in wet ground. Haven't tried it on the beach so can't comment for that terrain; but, no way 22".

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
That would be asking a lot for the omega. If you have questions about the depth of the omega, look at dirtfishing 11-24 on You tube recovering a Indian head penny. HH Cal

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will read alot of stories or hear them from people about great depth's ive read guys on here pulling dimes with the at pro at 15 inches....Utterly deceptive twaddle-speak, says I.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you will read alot of stories or hear them from people about great depth's ive read guys on here pulling dimes with the at pro at 15 inches....Utterly deceptive twaddle-speak, says I.

What? I always dig coins at 15" w/my ATP every time out! Sorry…just practicing my fibbing incase I ever buy another Mindless!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible the Omega 8000 with a 11" DD coil will finds quarters at 22 inch or greater depths..?
That is crazy talk my friend! I have pulled a couple of LCs at between. 12 and 13" with my T2 SE. That is very impressive in my opinion. No vdi but a beautiful repeatable tone. Honestly if you're digging coins at 10+ inches your machine is doing well

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The deepest coin I have found has been at 12.5" with my F-75. I owned a Omega 8000 but sold it. Deepest I got with that machine was 9", however I know someone who has found deeper with theirs. Soil conditions will effect the depth.

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got an Omega, and while it's a fine machine, typical depths are 4 to 6 inches. Occasionally will hit something an inch or 2 deeper but signals become a bit iffy.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used an Omega for most of my hunts for 4 years now, it is capable of coins to 10-11 inches, 12 would be absolute max, and any claim beyond that is just not so.
Correct sweep speed is also necessary for max performance, too slow looses a bit of depth

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it possible the Omega 8000 with a 11" DD coil will finds quarters at 22 inch or greater depths..?

No quarters at 22" but a beer can yea,full and cold 24" a 12 pack 35" when cold...VW doodle bug at 4.5 ft for gas burner and 4.63 ft for diesel..From my test garden,,S.T
p.s but those are in my soil which is mild to moderate,,,it was hell digg'in the hole for the doodle bug,took 4 12 packs to get that thing in the ground,lol

Last edited:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The original info I think said air test 12" on quarter. Most soils don't allow detection depth to equal air distance. Some unmineralized salt
beaches one might exceed air distance. But in most soils, expect less depth than the air distance.

Also, there are coils available from NEL that are larger than the 11" DD that may go deeper, but just got mine & haven't tried it yet.

My Omega 8000 is loud on a 5" dime with sensitivity at only 30 so must go significantly deeper. It is stable at sensitivity 55 in back yard, which has power poles. Best wishes, George (MN)

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
A $5,000 gold detector found a large copper coin over 200 years old at 22". It is unfair to expect the Omega 8000 to equal that when you consider how much more affordable the Omega is. Besides, wouldn't a 22" deep hole in a park or schoolyard likely result in arrest? You might want the depth though for beaches or farm fields where they don't worry about condition of the grass. Another problem is very hard ground in many areas. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread