Depth Gauge indicates coins are much deeper than they are

Quisp

Feb 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett GTA-1000, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I continue to notice how coins are much more shallow than the depth indicator seems to indicate. I know it's two inches per triangle based on a quarter, but even subtracting 1- 1.5 inches for grass I find it is at least 2-3 inches off every time and sometimes more. Now I'm used to a depth number from my other detectors and now I have to count triangles. But, my other detectors seemed to always be within 2 inches and most times an inch of the proper depth on most coins, not just quarters. This is probably just a little gripe but it's something they could address with an F/W update.

What have others experienced?

Dan

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed this as well but found that running sensitivity closer to 15 in the park makes it much more accurate on shallow targets. There are other post on this topic as well so you might hunt around I think Vferrari has covered it in depth.

GB, Soil Conditions, trash, emi, etc all play a part in the accuracy

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT Pro was the same way, MY CZ the same and my whites, the same as well as my Equinox. Maybe there's a few detectors that are nut's on every time for depth, but I find all detectors it's just giving you a rough estimate and varies by target size, soil, target composition, any nearby trash etc...

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive noticed the depth gauge on the equinox is pretty much useless. I go by tone to gauge depth. Obviously the light whispers are deep and the double beep is just under the surface. And anything that is loud and clear single beep is 3-6 inches. I love getting a faint beep, digging a 7 inch plug and still getting the signal in the hole. That gets the heart racing.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SultansofSwing's tone thumbrules above are good benchmarks while in detect mode. Going into pinpoint mode helps to gage relative target size and depth, too.

Last edited:

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive noticed the depth gauge on the equinox is pretty much useless. I go by tone to gauge depth. Obviously the light whispers are deep and the double beep is just under the surface. And anything that is loud and clear single beep is 3-6 inches. I love getting a faint beep, digging a 7 inch plug and still getting the signal in the hole. That gets the heart racing.

I am not noticing a variance in volume. There have been times I thought the signal sounded quiet at first pass but it always ends up at the same volume. What’s more, 7 -8 inch deep targets I’ve recovered have sounded the same as 2-3 shallows with the latter just being more erratic. The depth indicator is almost worthless.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had any detector where I paid any attention to the "Depth" gauge. The VDI numbers I only use as a reference point perhaps, but the depth gauge? Just can't go by it, it's always ended up being "Audio", just the nature of the beast I'd say.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am like spailroad, I never pay attention to the depth because I don't care. I can usually tell by tone but I have dug 12" targets thinking maybe it was 6".

It's all fun to me. I get a bit tired of dropping to the ground to dig pennies because I am getting old but i'd rather dig a penny and find a ring than dig a nickel and find a tab

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread