CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was checking my Nox with the new soundpeats wireless headphones. Simple air testing to see how the headphones work. I'm having issues with depth. Did a factory reset and I can only get a clear ID on a dime at 4" or less. 6" it's way off ID. Can't be heard at 8". This doesn't seem right. Both park 1 and 2 in factory preset.

Soundpeats wireless headphones are to scratchy sounding and lag when I'm doing these air tests. Don't think I will be using them. Still looking for a wireless water resistant headset. Not sure why Minelab doesn't put some out?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was checking my Nox with the new soundpeats wireless headphones. Simple air testing to see how the headphones work. I'm having issues with depth. Did a factory reset and I can only get a clear ID on a dime at 4" or less. 6" it's way off ID. Can't be heard at 8". This doesn't seem right. Both park 1 and 2 in factory preset.

Soundpeats wireless headphones are to scratchy sounding and lag when I'm doing these air tests. Don't think I will be using them. Still looking for a wireless water resistant headset. Not sure why Minelab doesn't put some out?

Strange and strange.

The depth issue is a head scratcher. Are you trying more than one target type to see if you see that issue across the board? Did you check the area to make sure there is not iron in the vicinity using all metal horseshoe button? Perhaps the soil is highly mineralized - do you know? - that will kill depth no matter what and you can only really tell with a mineralization meter which the Equinox lacks. Did you GB and noise cancel (you didn't say)? You should also try Field 1. Park 1 and Field 1 should hit deepest on silver and high conductive clad. Park 2 and Field 2 are optimized for mid-conductors and the higher weighted frequency spectrum they run will not penetrate as deeply as Park 1 or Field 1 so the max depth on Park 2 and Field 2 on silver will be less. Also, experiment with single frequency (especially 5 khz, 10 khz).

Regarding the soundpeats: mine work perfectly. What model are you using? I use the Soundpeats Engine which are superior to the Q12's in audio and are actually cheaper. Are you seeing the bluetooth symbol with the "+" sign next to it on the display? APTX LL delay should be hardly discernible and on par with the stock headset if you have no issues with those.

Minelab doesn't even manufacture the wireless headset they include with Equinox, just a rebranded Chinese model so I doubt that the are going to make a pair of wireless earbuds anytime soon. You have a great option though that is already included with your 800. Find a decent pair of wired water resistant earbuds you like and plug them into the included WM 08 wireless receiver and tuck that into a pocket or clip it to your belt or hat. It has less delay than even bluetooth APTX LL (17 ms vs. 30-40 ms with APTX LL) and even though you have the wire running to it, you still have the convenience of being untethered from your detector by an audio cable.

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange and strange.

The depth issue is a head scratcher. Are you trying more than one target type to see if you see that issue across the board? Did you check the area to make sure there is not iron in the vicinity using all metal horseshoe button? Perhaps the soil is highly mineralized - do you know? - that will kill depth no matter what and you can only really tell with a mineralization meter which the Equinox lacks. Did you GB and noise cancel (you didn't say)? You should also try Field 1. Park 1 and Field 1 should hit deepest on silver and high conductive clad. Park 2 and Field 2 are optimized for mid-conductors and the higher weighted frequency spectrum they run will not penetrate as deeply as Park 1 or Field 1 so the max depth on Park 2 and Field 2 on silver will be less. Also, experiment with single frequency (especially 5 khz, 10 khz).

Regarding the soundpeats: mine work perfectly. What model are you using? I use the Soundpeats Engine which are superior to the Q12's in audio and are actually cheaper. Are you seeing the bluetooth symbol with the "+" sign next to it on the display? APTX LL delay should be hardly discernible and on par with the stock headset if you have no issues with those.

Minelab doesn't even manufacture the wireless headset they include with Equinox, just a rebranded Chinese model so I doubt that the are going to make a pair of wireless earbuds anytime soon. You have a great option though that is already included with your 800. Find a decent pair of wired water resistant earbuds you like and plug them into the included WM 08 wireless receiver and tuck that into a pocket or clip it to your belt or hat. It has less delay than even bluetooth APTX LL (17 ms vs. 30-40 ms with APTX LL) and even though you have the wire running to it, you still have the convenience of being untethered from your detector by an audio cable.

HTH

So I dug a hole 6" deep, buried the dime. I can't pick it up. Changed FE to 0. Tried sweep speed down to 3. Maxed out sensitivity, nothing. Cleaned the coil cover, not really anything in there yet. I can't pick it up with any program. The only thing I haven't done is checked to see if there's an update to the programming. On a side note, the AT Pro picks up a tick but no ID. Soil is a mix of clay and DG. Set up in my daughters pitching area.

OP
OP
C

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The soundpeats show the proper symbols. Just very scratchy over targets. Any time I shut off the soundpeats or the Nox I have to re-pair them.

OP
OP
C

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked again after factory reset. Different part of yard. Getting readings at 8” or so with the dime and around 10” on a quarter. Weird to have such varying results. I did find 3 pennies I missed with the AT Pro. One was about 3” from a rusty nail. Had bouncy numbers from 23-28. Turned out to be a copper penny from the same year I was born. I think the nail created the bouncy numbers.

Ivan Kraemer

Jun 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using the the SoundPeats Engine headphones with a Equinox 600 or 800?

I have had the same issues as you with the SoundPeats Q12 Plus. I replaced them and had the same issue with the second pair.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread