Depth meter

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 & XP Deus with a Whites TRX and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there is a signal strength meter but is there a way to get a good estimate on depth? I love this machine but I feel like that's the one thing it is missing. I know to listen for tone but it would be nice to have a meter too. Even if it were just one like the Etrac.

I hope they put this in on an update.... Pin pointing is very easy on this machine but digging an 8 inch hold when it's only 8 inches down or vice eras seems counter productive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the horseshoe is its depth meter. Say u got a hit on a good coin the more color on the horseshoe right side the closer its to the top of the Soil, each side of the shoe is basically a meter of 12", so half filled color (black) its most likley 5-6'' deep

OP
OP
D

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the horseshoe is its depth meter. Say u got a hit on a good coin the more color on the horseshoe right side the closer its to the top of the Soil, each side of the shoe is basically a meter of 12", so half filled color (black) its most likley 5-6'' deep

Ok cool! Thanks for the info. I am guessing cans show up close to the surface with strength even though they may be 10 inches?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya size is gonna play a part in it. I beleive in the manual the depth meter is bases off a coin sized object ill get back to you with the actual coin size & make ill usually look at it If its black halfway & I know its a coin most likley it'll be 5-6" & like I said on the top Soil all black

OP
OP
D

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya size is gonna play a part in it. I beleive in the manual the depth meter is bases off a coin sized object ill get back to you with the actual coin size & make ill usually look at it If its black halfway & I know its a coin most likley it'll be 5-6" & like I said on the top Soil all black

It would be nice to see a stand alone depth meter on them. The sizing idea is cool too....

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definetly. It does take getting used to aswell when I first started using it I was like what this seems like its upside down lol

OP
OP
D

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definetly. It does take getting used to aswell when I first started using it I was like what this seems like its upside down lol

I had been told the depth in Deus fast is only 5-6 inches. Does it scale based on that or is that even correct information?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly havent heard that befor that might be something ill have to try myself & see the depth guage isnt gonna be different on different programs it will stay the same 0"-12". It has been said that the relic program is supposed to be really deep. Id suggest Andy Sabishes deus handbook If you dont have it its a must

OP
OP
D

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly havent heard that befor that might be something ill have to try myself & see the depth guage isnt gonna be different on different programs it will stay the same 0"-12". It has been said that the relic program is supposed to be really deep. Id suggest Andy Sabishes deus handbook If you dont have it its a must

My book is due in tomorrow actually. Ordered it a day or so after I ordered my machine.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ok then ur good , read it slow If ir like me i went to fast & was overwhelmed at first read it again it made more sence ive actually read it now goin on 4 times i read some go hunting read more go hunting. In my opinión its like a hands on kinda thing sticks in ny head more. Either way the machine will make alot more sence & its got some real nice programs in there there are really hot

biggziff

Oct 12, 2013
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
XLT, Deus, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth has less to do with the program (defaults) as it does with soil conditions and your ability to get an accurate GB. And ya...why does the depth meter work backwards or upside down? Are the French optimists?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The audio and size of target will tell you more about depth than the horseshoe will. The screen will lie to you, AUDIO AUDIO AUDIO. ;)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree audio tells alot & im getting pretty good with mine been using for a while, but ive also had objects 1" that sound very clear as an object at 6" the deus is really good at anylizing whats there I dont rely on its screen cuz of to many variables but it will give you an idea when ur digging a plug on a nice manicured lawn how big to go & how deep. Use audio 100% of the time but it doesnt hurt to get another opinión

OP
OP
D

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had gotten used to my etrac and ATP giving fairly accurate readings. Granted they would be fooled from time to time with compact ground ect but they usually were fairly close. Not by any means am I saying tone is not good. I guess it will just take time to learn the tone strength of a 8 inch coin to say a 4 inch coin.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will & ull get there just take ur time its an awesome machine

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Ca foot hills. (Central ca.)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and tesoro compadre minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All of this is best learned using one program(especially audio response setting) if your new to the Deus?, constantly changing programs will increase learning curve time.

Sticking with say... "Basic one" and becoming familiar is very Important as there are so many options to play around with it could be easy to get "lost in the matrix"

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of this is best learned using one program(especially audio response setting) if your new to the Deus?, constantly changing programs will increase learning curve time.

Sticking with say... "Basic one" and becoming familiar is very Important as there are so many options to play around with it could be easy to get "lost in the matrix"

GREAT post! Basic 1 is very good. Only needs a few tweaks to become fantastic!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every area and hunting condition is different so 1 setting is not a "catch all" setting as some would lead you to believe. You will have to adjust to your conditions. Best thing to do is learn your machine in a basic mode before you really start tweaking anything. That way when you adjust something its very obvious to you if it will work for you.

I tell all my customers to start in Basic 1 and play with lowering the reactivity speed to start with. It gains a bit of depth the lower you can run it. It makes deeper targets hit harder. Also play with audio response. On 3.2 version, try AR set at 5 (2.0 set it at 5). That will make deep ones that are hard to hear sound more "round". 7 for me in my area gives it to much response for my liking.

Evan (Gone Hunting) and I offer all my customers lifetime support with tips and tricks on all the machines we sell. Feel free to give me a shout with questions.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every area and hunting condition is different so 1 setting is not a "catch all" setting as some would lead you to believe. You will have to adjust to your conditions. Best thing to do is learn your machine in a basic mode before you really start tweaking anything. That way when you adjust something its very obvious to you if it will work for you.

I tell all my customers to start in Basic 1 and play with lowering the reactivity speed to start with. It gains a bit of depth the lower you can run it. It makes deeper targets hit harder. Also play with audio response. On 3.2 version, try AR set at 5 (2.0 set it at 5). That will make deep ones that are hard to hear sound more "round". 7 for me in my area gives it to much response for my liking.

Evan (Gone Hunting) and I offer all my customers lifetime support with tips and tricks on all the machines we sell. Feel free to give me a shout with questions.

Ive subed to those gone hunting vids very useful. Great info for the newer people pickin up a deus its lots of fun,power, I also advise andies book to its a must & will help out even other guys who do know stuff with the deus any knowledge & more is better then what u got

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions