Depth of finds

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
What is the average depth of the finds you folks make with your detectors? I'm having to dial back sensitivity on my new rig to avoid digging 12"+ on the plumbing in our yard, I've located at least 3 pipes now and I'm getting sick of digging that deep, the VDI on those rusty ass pipes rings in like silver which confuses things (most rusty iron is high numbers/tones, I'm beginning to doubt all high and low tones).
I'm sure there's special exceptions but what would you say your typical depth is? I'm trying to learn this thing and where to set things. I need perspective

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it just depends. Every coin I've found pre 1960 were on or very close to the surface, most coins I find are close to the surface honestly. Often in bad condition sadly but yeah, not terribly deep.
Think about what you're saying here....
Could be most of the coins you find may be near the surface because you're not getting the penetration to find the deeper (much older?) ones.

HEY.... I was born pre-1960. And yes, I'm often in bad condition and not terribly deep. 😏

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread