"Faraday Soil"

DiggingSicilia

Oct 22, 2023
Sicily
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
I experienced a strange behavior from the soil here, I found a target with really good tones. I dug out the plug flipping over next to the hole and the target was no longer detectable. So I put the plug back and the target reappears. I again dig a smaller plug and was able to find the target. I have had this several times in the same area.

IMG_20240122_185659.jpg

Upvote 3

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had that happen before too. It usually means that the target is small and close to the surface (hence it becomes "deep" when the plug is upside down, giving less or no signal).

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I experienced a strange behavior from the soil here, I found a target with really good tones. I dug out the plug flipping over next to the hole and the target was no longer detectable. So I put the plug back and the target reappears. I again dig a smaller plug and was able to find the target. I have had this several times in the same area.

View attachment 2127406
This happens to everybody from time to time, Also I have many times got a good signal only to have it disappear after I dig the hole, but the TRUTH is, normally you have MOVED the target from its original position and it can no longer be "seen" by the detector, MANY MANY TIMES the target "fell" deeper in the hole and now it is at the bottom where it is out of range... Also ... Not that this is likely to happen, but just for reference to ANYONE reading this post... I've had this happen TWICE, chasing a GOLD ring and I cut the band with my digger or shovel and now my detector WILL NOT DETECT IT...
I know what everyone will say... "My machine would get that" I'm telling you it WON'T, and you can try it on a small gold ring you have to see, (cut the band and open the gap) I found both of those gold rings because I saw them in the dirt after I had dug them, but my machine still couldn't detect them... Soo if the signal is GOOD, but LOW and it disappears.. you might look around for a gold ring you might have cut open.... 🤣

gpklp226

Jan 19, 2023
If you are properly ground balanced when first you detect the target before digging and then remove the target from the hole. You will find the the target is either more detectable or less because of the disturbance to the surrounding mannerization in the ground. This is known as mineralization skewing of the target signal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread