Depth of old coins.

saralo123

Greenie
May 8, 2014
Orangeville Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster GT, garrett pin pointer, prism dd 4x6 coil.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have a question for all the coin hunters out there. Since I purchased my detector, pin pointer and upgraded my coil, I have become very good at finding coins. However if I'm finding 50 year old coins in a particular type of soil at two inches how deep will the 150 year old coins be. I know that's a loaded question but the only old coin I have found to date is a 1918 wheat which was only 3 inches down. Am I to assume that someone hunted out a whole park fourty years ago? My stock coil picks up coins to 10 or 12 inches and I pulled a 1961 canadian penny out of a 6 inch hole with my 4 by 6 prism coil yesterday and a hand made nail at 11 inches. I use it in trashy areas and it works great. Am I losing depth detection on coins with the 4 by 6?? What am I missing. Oh by the way the park is 111 yrs old and is loaded with coins. Where the heck are the old ones.???? :icon_scratch:

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old ones will be where old ones were lost. Its almost impossible to answer your question, due to factors unknown. 1. has the soil been built up or worked. 2. errosion etc etc etc.. the list can go on and on.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins are generally found at 4-6 inches. You can find them at any depth, depending on soil condition and the size and weight of the object. Heavier items sink faster past rocks and such, weather and soil play's a big role. The cleaner/softer the soil (less rocks) the faster an item can sink. Most items kinda move up and down with the weather, frost, rain, or ground shifting. Staying relatively in the same depth... A smaller coil will always get less depth than a stock coil or big coil. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !!:hello2:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 4x6 seems to be about 4-6" max for a coin. On the CM GT the 4x6 depth is off by 2 inches.. says 6 is only 4 due to the small size and the fact the machine has no way for you to adjust to work with a smaller coil. When using your stock 9" the field pattern is cone shaped.. only a inch or 2 wide at depth. If you are not over lapping your swings by 75% you are missing lots of deep area. Consider the NEL Hunter for non trash areas as you get a much wider field at depth. The VDI is off a little but I have rarely use the stock 9 since I got it.
If you have not read this article do so, you will be much enlightened as to what is going on under your coil. I would suggest reading it in 2 sittings and then again after you hunt a couple of time after reading it. Truth About Search Coils

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only found one old coin...an 1894 Barber Quarter. It was about 4 inches down. Ever since then I've often wondered the same thing. Is 4 inches normal for a coin of that age or was it really only lost 20 or 30 years ago. I have no other finds to compare it to. If I found another 1800s coin and it was 10 inches down then I would think that maybe the Barber WAS dropped later in life but if it was roughly the same depth then I would think that depth was about normal.

OP
OP
S

saralo123

Greenie
May 8, 2014
Orangeville Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster GT, garrett pin pointer, prism dd 4x6 coil.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
thanks guys if 4 to 7 inches is what im looking at te thats ok. I'll just have to persevere.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no accurate answer to the question "how deep will the ---------(fill in the blank) no. of years older coins be " As the earlier
respondent noted, there are way too many variables involved here . If it's older coins you are wanting to find , your best chances to
find them will come from getting permission to hunt properties where people a century ago (or more ) gathered in some numbers
over many years - fairgrounds , picnic areas , campsites , old yards , churchyards , schoolyards , to name just a few . The thing
that these locations have in common , is that many people gathered there for events of various kinds - over many years !
You will get many different opinions about various detectors and coils and the experiences that they have - The bottom line is the
experience YOU have getting out to various sites , trying different coils -researching potential sites - Have Fun !!!!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too easy to assume that the depth of the coin is directly translatable to how many years its been in the ground. Its generally true, but there are exceptions, and a lot of variables to consider. Keep searching and the older coins will pop up sooner or later, but thats not always where you would expect them to be.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to say where an age will be,but oldest are often the bottom layer coin wise. Sounds simple enough,:laughing7: Sites vary but I call the oldest coins dug on a site,knowing there may be deeper I don,t reach, as being in the basement. If all levels are consistent in soil compactness and history of disruption and underlying soil is consistent,in time the oldest coins start to show a similar depth pattern. Of course head scratching exceptions have to pop up now and then. My oldest that are deepest don,t ring up like shallower ones on my different than yours equipment ,but don,t be afraid to experiment with iffy coin signals or narrow band of a soft "hit". Broader area of a swing still ringing up you can check but for me them deeper coins are narrow and takes a tiny swing to ring up but they whisper coin still. Sometimes bounce towards iron when getting out of my reach in depth or wet soil, but coin first. My average over the couple harder hunt years of note was a good four hundred coins per one old/silver one.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just gonna huck this out there.Firstly there were fewer people and coins in antiquity.secondly...folks were a bit more careful about their coins than we spoiled modern folks.Often coins werent even carried unless they were going to be spent that day.There were no coins found in the laundry basin....because they were accounted for BEFORE laundry in most situations.This tells us much if we choose to listen.
Fewer folks...fewer coins...less lost coins per capita of minted coinage.

We gotta earn it gang...and depth means little in many regions.I,in the last month pulled a LC 1864 at less than 2 inches...an hour later nailed a beautiful 1971 dime at six inches when I researched same area.

go figure

cheers

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Areas with rich loamy soil with no rocks, that get really wet in the spring rains with standing water, the coins go deep, they sink thru the mud. Areas on hills, in the woods, the coins can be found on top, totally exposed, I have found many old coins laying on top in the woods on hills with no undergrowth or foliage. I have found old coins in average grass turf lawns at two or three inches deep, but in spots that were never hit hard. Generally speaking, old coins are not easily found at the shallower depths, and most are gone even down to six inches. Big coils in fairly clean areas with little to no previous detector action will pull deep coins up to eight plus inches, but dont get your hopes up, the minelab and fisher guys already been there most likely.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most old coins I find are 4" - 8". I have also found 30 year old clad almost a foot down in parks that have experienced no major grading or ground work in longer than that. I think moles really help these sink faster and generally you see mole tunnels at that depth. So many factors could effect depth of objects.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If possible, always check at the base of old trees - people tend to congregate under them and the roots keep things near the surface.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The rockier the soil, the more shallow lost things will be. Just because a site has a mid 1900's house on it doesn't mean horses or mules weren't plowing the same dirt 200 years ago. They could have turned things under the top or they could have brought things up from the depths. As David680 said, they will turn up if you put the time in and when you least expect it.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Too many variables....

I've found, on the same patch of soil:

1894 Indian Head at 1 1/2"
Mercury dime at 8"
Balled up cigarette pack at 13"
Modern clad at 6"
Mercury dime right on top of the soil, just dusted over
A Franklin Half at 1/2"

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just gonna huck this out there.Firstly there were fewer people and coins in antiquity.secondly...folks were a bit more careful about their coins than we spoiled modern folks.Often coins werent even carried unless they were going to be spent that day.

bigfoot1 speaks the truth!

In the 1930's, Mom was visiting her grandmother in the mountains. Mom said she lost a nickel and couldn't find it. She said she received a letter from her grandmother - she'd searched for that nickel for two weeks and found it.

Money was that important to the people in the old days.....

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks guys if 4 to 7 inches is what im looking at te thats ok. I'll just have to persevere.

Bingo! Perseverance is the name of the game. All you have to do is search a little section of the park at a time. Don't concern yourself with the depth of stuff. Coins and everything else are found at all depths. My rarest find was like literally right on top of the ground. Common sense would tell you it should have been much deeper, but it wasn't. So, the good stuff is where you find it I suppose. Work the park for a couple years. I'm sure there's still goodies in the ground. Good Luck!

-Swartzie

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I found an 1805 Large Cent at 3'', and a 1970's penny at around 8''. It depends on many factors, weather, erosion, plant growth, soil density, foot travel, etc.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*L* well the really old coins in rich or sandy soil can be at 12" deep or so. The Nova Constellatio with no date (1783-1786) that I dug was at the bottom of a measured 12" hole. However, I believe most really good coins found were at the 6" to 9" mark. Yet I've dup very old coins at 2-3" too because no one had run a coil over them yet. Sometimes if a place is 'cleaned out' - I'll go there and remove very deep coins. Yes, you will loose depth with a 4X6 coil IMO. I don't use anything under 8" coil but have a sniper coil that's gotten little use. I have a 12" but don't like swinging that thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread