Depth of Silver around Chicago Suburbs?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I'll seed my backyard with IH's, V's and Barbers for you but it'll cost you and you have to pick up the trash too.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Lowbatts said:
Do you know if Aurora streets are getting sidewalk/curb work this year again? Went down through the island when they were tearing down the old big buildings and there were 4 or 5 large and small old safes by the dumpster. Warmed my heart...

Ever worked the old Farnsworth site? Silver Springs?

Hey Lowbatts, no I'm not sure about the sidewalks in Aurora. Would I know just by looking to see if they are tearing it up or is there some way I could find out the upcoming schedule of work to be done? I drive through Aurora on the way to work and have been to just about all of the parks scoping them out. A couple weeks back they had been putting in new woodchips at just about every park I visited.

It would be a sight to see a bunch of old safes piled up. I'm sure you went and tried opening them! I would think they would be required to throw them out with the doors removed though.

I've thought about going to Silver Springs but it's a state park and I wasn't sure of the laws there. So far there have been plenty of places I can go under permission from Oswego Park District and Fox Valley Park District, so I haven't ventured away too far. Also because I get to go out for short periods of time and can't really go too far on the weekdays. Weekends maybe!

What's the old Farnsworth site? I've seen some older farm properties off of farnsworth by Fermi Lab... is that what you mean?

Basically, right now with the Ames Planter Buddy... shallow holes are fine and dandy, but anything that approaches 8" is taking forever to dig with it. I wouldn't even want to dig really deep targets without a good digging spade like the Lesche Groundshark. That's one of the next accessories on my list.

I found it really hard to believe that ring of Dankowski's sank 23" in 3 minutes, but I have no way to disprove it either. I'm just too new to knowing what ground conditions are around and what happens when objects are dropped in them. But I do know that around where I live there are rocks EVERYWHERE in the soil, so there MUST be coins frozen in time at all kinds of depths.

I guess there really is no one answer except to KEEP LOOKING. I'm sure most of the places I've been going have been hunted a 1000 times before, but since I've found pretty deep quarters and dimes I know there are still treasures to be found.

I want to get down to windycitydetectors and pick some of these top end detectors up and see what they can do. Does anyone know if WCD's has a test garden?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
The old Farnsworth site was one where the Fox Valley Regiment trained during the civil war era. It's in that big park on the east side. Careful not to cross into county property if you're detecting there. Good place to watch for things like ground scrapes where new parking lots or playgrounds are going in.

Silver Springs, like most state parks is up to the discretion of the state archeologist. Stop by there on a weekday and ask them if they have any requirements for detecting. Most state parks where it's okay to hunt can give you a permit, though the term of the permit is dependent on the site superintendent. White Pines gives a three day permit, Rock Cut gives a three year permit, still others are perfectly okay with recreational md'ing.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, congrats!!! Man thats a nice dime, and so close to the trail!!!! And a fine ring too!!!! :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Depth is no longer a problem! I've just completed work on some new detecting technology. Using an old MRI unit from the nearby hospital that's being torn down and replaced, I've connected it to a portable power source (54V batt from electric lift truck that carries the unit) and an autotuned RF lens for directional signaling. Using my laptop as a console for the unit I took it out back to my test garden, here's a screen shot of co-located targets amid small gravel in an otherwise clean matrix.

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 182
OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Lowbatts said:
Depth is no longer a problem! I've just completed work on some new detecting technology. Using an old MRI unit from the nearby hospital that's being torn down and replaced, I've connected it to a portable power source (54V batt from electric lift truck that carries the unit) and an autotuned RF lens for directional signaling. Using my laptop as a console for the unit I took it out back to my test garden, here's a screen shot of co-located targets amid small gravel in an otherwise clean matrix.

Bwwaaahahahaha! "I don't think so Tim" - Al (Home Improvement)

Get right on that though! I actually was thinking of an GPS equipped autonomous field and beach detecting robot that would locate, pinpoint and stick depth and location markers. Now that's possible.

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
Awesome project you got there Lowbatts! :thumbsup: If you get it small enough to carry in a backpack I'll field test it for ya!! :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread