Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian said:
Or find a good location and you can't get on it as the farmer/landowner has two or three people knocking on his door every week seeking permission.

I've followed three Americans who have followed their dream of retiring and moving to Britain to detect full time and the one who did best lasted under a year. Though they all seemed to have very good pensions they could not cope with the cost of living and soon realised that the finds made hardly covered the full costs in searching for sites. Which is why they are prepared to pay a couple of thousand for a weeks detecting with arranged sites (and try not to worry if the site has been salted or not).
Your right what you say of the better finds from unploughed land :icon_thumleft: and I know there must be lots of sites out there that have had just sheep grazing, the A66 for one, travel that from Scotch Corner to the Pennines and most is pasture land, but also very heavily occupied by the Romans.

SS

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
::)

Depth, Depth, Depth......no matter how much we get, we all want more ::) were will it end :laughing9: there will always be finds beyond our depth, be gratefull for what you get :icon_thumleft:

SS
Exactly. Besides, the more depth you get the more junk you have to dig.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to dig "junk". Every bit of iron, foil, even staples has the ability to mask out targets or push the I.D. of a metered detector into a "don't dig" sector. Look at the failure of surface blanking where you could dial in the amount of inches of surface soil that you had decided that there was to much rubbish in to be bothered about.

Great idea if it had worked as the hype merchants suggested. Then the machines arrived on the market and the idea swiftly got dropped.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is get a 5900 di pro ,not the 6000... Ground balance in GEB norm set tuner real low and go see what you will find....that detector is one of the all time dept mongrel with discrimination.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't worry about depth. That sort of stuff will drive you nuts. Sort of like fretting when you see a dog peeing on a tree. I just like to get maximum performance out of my machine under most conditions. Let the depth part take care of itself. On my Vaquero I want to keep the ground balanced, use as minimal discrimination as possible, and keep my threshold up so the deeper signals come screaming through the headphones. Now if I can pull up a target at a dozen inches I'll sing three verses of Hail Hail The Gang's All here in joy. If I am not achieving that depth I may only sing one verse. Set your machine right, learn how to use it and the depth part will take care of itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread