Dere Street (Return Part Two!!!Gold)...Back From The Jeweler!!! Updated Pic!!!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all...

I am not going to bore you with a long story, if you have been following my recent posts you know were I have been detecting and the finds that have come from this area :o

I started the evening recovering my digging spade that I left here Sunday, it was lying right were I had left it :laughing9: managed a couple of Medieval spindle whorls and a few bits of lead, then another Medieval hammered coin of Elizabeth1 (1558-1603) half groat.

Later on in the evening I moved further down the road to a area that has produced Roman coins, again I had a further four bronze coins but the going was hard.

The area was becoming shorter by the minute so I moved to the slopes of the spoil heaps and this is were I found my best find, a nice crisp signal and I was flipping over the sandy soil, at first I couldn't see what had given the signal, then I glanced a glint of yellow in a small piece of soil, I picked it up and right in-front of me was a small Gold Ring :headbang: the colour gave it away as old, a deep buttery yellow Gold.

The ring is very small (13mm) and obviously made for a child, I am 99% certain that this ring is Roman :read2: and was probably made specially for the wearer.

This ring unfortunately falls under the treasure act and I will have to declare it :'( any way have a look at the pictures if there are any questions I will try and answer :thumbsup:SS...Updated... It's now two weeks since I found the ring, and I have just had the ID back by the UK Finds Data Base here's what it says, A Roman Gold finger ring 1st-4th Century, the shank has a broad,flat cross-section that tapers from the front to back. At the front there is an oval bezel made from reposse worked sheet-metal; it depicts a full-faced portraite in releif, surrounded by a raised border. The depiction is unknown, though the subject is almost certainly classical :headbang: :headbang:

Attachments

• gr1.jpg
    gr1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 4,407
  • gr2.jpg
    gr2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 4,445
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 4,359
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4,357
  • Site.jpg
    Site.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 4,422
  • RR1.jpg
    RR1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 4,392
  • RR.jpg
    RR.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 4,384
  • ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 4,333
Upvote 2
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dere Street (Return Part Two!!!Gold)

shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
rodgerdodger said:
Congratulations on the ring and the banner.
Lucky # 7.
Thank's Rodger :thumbsup: I'm expecting more great finds from this area, and who knows maybe another banner slot :thumbsup:
Could be tonight, or if not defiantly tomorrow, there should be new areas to do by now :thumbsup:

hey SS, save some space for other people :D

when are you there next?

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dere Street (Return Part Two!!!Gold)...UPDATE.

Hello everbody..

just thought I would let you know a little bit more about the Gold Ring, I have emailed three people in the hope that they might confirm the period of the find.

Two people have come back with replys, but still I'm not 100% sure that it is Roman, but both of theses people have said that it proberbly is 3rd-4th century :P

Anymore info and I will post to let you know :thumbsup:SS

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is the earliest known version of "Casper the friendly ghost" when he wore a helmet. That is a great find and congratulations again sir. Keep us informed.

TnMountains

SpiderCoil

Jun 9, 2009
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickDraw II & someday an MXT300.

:headbang: :headbang:Really really cool!! Congrats!! :headbang: :headbang:

Well since you talked about the ring and posted a pick - I would say your safer turning it in. I have read many a story of people who don't and try to sell finds on eBay - get caught, fined, and jail, let alone there MD got taken and house searched (for more possible finds).

Hopefully, after you turn it in, the treasure act ppl don't say hey you cant go back there, it now an protected site. Best of luck.

Something I heard somewhere:

"If you think someone is going to take it, don't tell anyone, not even your dog. Put it someplace only you know of, so you can look at it once in awhile.""

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrat's on the ring, it's truly a great find. Good luck with the ID, and the fact it will be a treasure is cool. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj said:
Congrat's on the ring, it's truly a great find. Good luck with the ID, and the fact it will be a treasure is cool. :thumbsup:
Thanks.... I have updated the ID as it now has been validated by the UK Finds Data Base :read2:

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Dere Street (Return Part Two!!!Gold)...UPDATE By UK Finds Data Base.

NICE ROMAN CHILDS RING , HAVE THEY FIGURED A VALUE FOR IT YET , HOPE ITS OVER 25,000 PDS STERLING ;D

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dere Street (Return Part Two!!!Gold)...UPDATE By UK Finds Data Base.

Hardy said:
NICE ROMAN CHILDS RING , HAVE THEY FIGURED A VALUE FOR IT YET , HOPE ITS OVER 25,000 PDS STERLING ;D
It can take up to three years mate :'(

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
pepperj said:
Thanks.... I have updated the ID as it now has been validated by the UK Finds Data Base :read2:

So your/our first thoughts were right, although I was 40/60 about it being medieval. Only because I haven't seen such a thin Roman ring.
Not so keen on the 1-4th C bit, anyone can put a date range of that! Ie. if it were a known type it would have a tighter timeframe ???

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
pepperj said:

So your/our first thoughts were right, although I was 40/60 about it being medieval. Only because I haven't seen such a thin Roman ring.
Not so keen on the 1-4th C bit, anyone can put a date range of that! Ie. if it were a known type it would have a tighter timeframe ???
Don't understand why you can't except the 1-4th century bit :icon_scratch: they obviously mean that the ring could fit any time scale that the Romans occupied Britain, there must be a lot of Roman relics that fit the same criteria, especially unusually items, I have seen Roman rings similar to mine apart from the face bit, perhaps this type as you say, is not that well known, or even unique :dontknow:

Attachments

• 1Roman ring.jpg
    1Roman ring.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,744

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dere Street (Return Part Two)

Silver Searcher said:
curbdiggercarl57 said:
Killer! That ring is especially nice, it has such a unique beauty to it. You really need to call in sick, before that window is closed. You're killing us over here!
Thanks Carl... the project will last three years, and there are going through many ancient areas :thumbsup:

I'm sure that I can make it out there by then. Who knows, I might get run off at this detecting forum, and then I'd have plenty of time to detect. Cheers!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
pepperj said:

Don't understand why you can't except the 1-4th century bit :icon_scratch: they obviously mean that the ring could fit any time scale that the Romans occupied Britain, there must be a lot of Roman relics that fit the same criteria, especially unusually items, I have seen Roman rings similar to mine apart from the face bit, perhaps this type as you say, is not that well known, or even unique :dontknow:

All I meant, is that they can normally (rings included), narrow it down to 1-2nd C or 3-4th C based on stylistic characteristics. So to say it is 1-4th C shows its more unusual & not well known, unless of course it needs deeper research.

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dere Street (Return Part Two!!!Gold)...back from the Jeweler More Pictures

:hello:

I have had the 1st-4th Century Roman Gold Rig back from the jeweler who has straightened it as much as he dare :P here's some more pictures of the ring :headbang:

Attachments

• rgr 001.JPG
    rgr 001.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,493
  • rgr 002.JPG
    rgr 002.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,492
  • rgr 007.JPG
    rgr 007.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,481
  • rgr 008.JPG
    rgr 008.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,469

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Re: Dere Street (Return Part Two!!!Gold)...Back From The Jeweler!!! Updated Pic!

he was a brave man! i'd hate to break that ring for someone :o

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dere Street (Return Part Two!!!Gold)...Back From The Jeweler!!! Updated Pic!

shaun7 said:
:hello:shaun

that's as about as far as I would let him go :P the thought of it breaking :'( all though it's soft Gold(proberbly 24k) it still could have broken :'(

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

that's as about as far as I would let him go :P the thought of it breaking :'( all though it's soft Gold(proberbly 24k) it still could have broken :'(

was he a jeweler or a conservator?

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
Silver Searcher said:
shaun7 said:

was he a jeweler or a conservator?
Jeweler ;D

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Priceless and a well deserved reward for hitting those roadworks without mercy!

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, theres no telling how old that ring is! lol. good finds!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions