Derrotero útil la ciudad de San Agustín (de la Florida) hasta la varra de Aiz, 1605

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Derrotero útil y provechoso y en todo verdadero de rios, caños, lagunas, montes, poblaciones, envarcaderos, baraderos, rancherías, el qual reza desde la ciudad de San Agustín (de la Florida) hasta la varra de Aiz

Click on the like to the Archives...it is a old Spanish coastal chart from St. Augustine to the Rio de Aiz from 1605. It may be Interesting to some for a variety of reasons.

Ayz.png Two Ais villages?

MINISTERIO DE EDUCACIÓN, CULTURA Y DEPORTE - Portal de Archivos Españoles

Last edited:

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the Mexia Deroterro. He wrote a journal while traveling to construct this chart. It has been translated by Charles Dana Higgs. Mexia drew the chart but did not cover all the territory on the map, first person. There is some question as to the identity of the southernmost inlet (on the right side of the chart). Is it the original Indian River Inlet (Old Fort Pierce), or is it Hobe Sound. Could be another inlet entirely, which is now closed.

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the Mexia Deroterro. He wrote a journal while traveling to construct this chart. It has been translated by Charles Dana Higgs. Mexia drew the chart but did not cover all the territory on the map, first person. There is some question as to the identity of the southernmost inlet (on the right side of the chart). Is it the original Indian River Inlet (Old Fort Pierce), or is it Hobe Sound. Could be another inlet entirely, which is now closed.

Excellent...I had no idea...I was beating my brains out trying to figure out the writing on the map and the hard work has already been done. Many Thanks.
The map is transcribed here: Florida anthropologist

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the first page in this report, you see the Brech and Lanham want to prove that there was an inlet just south of present-day Disney at Wabasso at a place known to the old-timers as "Winter Beach". Douglas Armstrong spent quite a bit of time digging along shore there and his excavations tended to support this theory. "The Winter Beach Salvage Camp" is his summary of a dig survey he did at that location. It is available at Amazon. Brech and Lanham believe the inlet closed between 1715 and 1769.
I had not seen the Brech/Lanham report before. Quite interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.

Recently, Queen's Jewels LLC recovered a cache of escudos in that area. Douglas Armstrong believes the Ubilla Capitana sank there, not at the Cabin Wreck site. On the other hand, there is persistent recall of one of the 1715 fleet vessels sinking in the mouth of a "river", long presumed to be the Wedge Wreck at the old Indian River Inlet area. What if, in fact, the wreck at Winter Beach turned out to be the featured vessel known to have wrecked in the "mouth of a river"? More moper dopery for your kind consideration, I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the first page in this report, you see the Brech and Lanham want to prove that there was an inlet just south of present-day Disney at Wabasso at a place known to the old-timers as "Winter Beach". Douglas Armstrong spent quite a bit of time digging along shore there and his excavations tended to support this theory. "The Winter Beach Salvage Camp" is his summary of a dig survey he did at that location. It is available at Amazon. Brech and Lanham believe the inlet closed between 1715 and 1769.
I had not seen the Brech/Lanham report before. Quite interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.

Recently, Queen's Jewels LLC recovered a cache of escudos in that area. Douglas Armstrong believes the Ubilla Capitana sank there, not at the Cabin Wreck site. On the other hand, there is persistent recall of one of the 1715 fleet vessels sinking in the mouth of a "river", long presumed to be the Wedge Wreck at the old Indian River Inlet area. What if, in fact, the wreck at Winter Beach turned out to be the featured vessel known to have wrecked in the "mouth of a river"? More moper dopery for your kind consideration, I guess.

Brech and Lanham's report is so well reasoned that it is difficult not to agree with it, IMHO. It certainly opens up some interesting possibilities...

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe an old, now closed Inlet was farther south and very near the present power plant.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These guys made use of newer science in their logic. It seems to be good work. But the Mexia survey can't be taken for gospel at any rate. Unfortunately, the village evidence has vanished completely in the last 70 years. Whatever Rouse, Higgs, et al could casually cite for evidence no longer exists, so these two researchers have to make do with information as it is now recorded. This is the type of situation where error compounds error.

I agree that there were several spots near the the Hutchinson Island plant that were river mouths at one time. Mud Creek comes to mind.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread