Desert Prospecting top 5 piece of advice

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to purchase my first handgun this year for prospecting and hiking. I have half a dozen rifles and shotguns, but have never had a need for a handgun. Hauling around a rifle along with my prospecting gear is just too much. I've been trying to decide between the Remington Governor or the Taurus judge. They can fire either a 410 shotgun shell, which would be great for snakes or a .45 colt shell( Governor also fires a .45acp round as well) which would be good for bears and big cats. the cost is the biggest difference.
Although the ability to fire the ACP round which is a more common would be nice. I also like that it's a revolver since they are more reliable and won't jam. Does anyone have one of these?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd go with the Governor; better craftsmanship, alloys, durability and long term investment. Made in America and hey......its a Smith & Wesson

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never shot a gun of anykind INSIDE... I didn't have ear protection, and was fearing for my ears... and it wasn't bad at all.
1st shot stunned him... 2nd I think would have done it.. 3rd did it, and #4 and 5 were for insurance... I was about 6 feet away,
maybe 8..

Out in the boonies, I bring it along "just in case".... If a rattler is "over there", he's not coming any closer, and he can do his thing
"over there" and I'll do mine "over here".. At the shop, or at the house(close proximity), and especially INSIDE... C-YA, Buh-Bye...

One of my pups got bit under my back porch a year and half ago.. I really don't want that happening again.. If I can help it. I now
make sure there is no dense brush or anything to hide under in the yard, and I clear cut out at least 15 feet from the fence.

Poor dog, that pic was less than an hour after she got bit, on the floor at the vet clinic.. Just one fang, you can see the dark spot above her
catcher's mitt. I don't think her toes could have gone any further apart. She was hurtin', She was back to her normal self in about 4 days,
but she was still tender for over a week.

20751394760_2def72ec8f_c.jpg

Tough little pooch, I'm glad she made it.......hard to keep a good dog down.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough little pooch, I'm glad she made it.......hard to keep a good dog down.

Apparently they are more resistant to the venom than people are.. I know lots of folks just let their dogs tough it out and
they're fine... They did tell me that its best if they get bit in the face or head, something to do with blood vessel size
and what not, than it is on an extremity...

I didn't ask at the clinic, (Molly was the 7th snake bite that week), but I did ask my vet, and in over 20 years of practice
(ya'd think after 20 years, they wouldn't need to "practice" anymore) she'd only lost one, and it had been bit over
20 times in the face, shoulders and chest and the owner waited a full day before they brought the dog in.

Good Dog? That's debatable, maybe when she's sleeping?

I do know the antivenom was only $80, and the hospital, on the very rare occasion they need it, gets it from the vet clinic...
It does go out of date, and the clinic goes through quite a lot of it.. The hospital not so much... And I know I weight
more, so I'll need more, but if I ever get bit, I'm putting on some Mickey Mouse ears and going to the vet clinic instead
of the hospital. Might even get my belly rubbed.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend has a pistol that shots a 410 shotgun shell. Makes sense considering how hard it is for many people to hit a snake.
I tried to hit a small copperhead once with a 357 mag and ended up lugging a big rock at it. I know there are sure shots out there and even though I was classed as Expert in the military a target is easier than a snake. If given the option I'd rather just pass by a snake and both be on our way.
Another friend had his dog snake bit and after spending $$$ at the vet for anti-venom found out his dog would probably survived. Something about a dogs resistance to snakes. I know dogs can eat most anything and be ok. Maybe it's their saliva. It's real thick and maybe the way it coats food accounts for their abilities with rotten food. I have to remove nose snot from my glass door with a razor blade.
I used to wear big jingle bells on my boots when being around possible grizzly's to warn them. I don't know if they would work with snakes. Maybe I'll try it although if they work I'll never know will I.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a rule I do not shoot at snakes but there are snake shot cartridges available in most calibers for those who do.

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend has a pistol that shots a 410 shotgun shell. Makes sense considering how hard it is for many people to hit a snake.
I tried to hit a small copperhead once with a 357 mag and ended up lugging a big rock at it. I know there are sure shots out there and even though I was classed as Expert in the military a target is easier than a snake. If given the option I'd rather just pass by a snake and both be on our way.
Another friend had his dog snake bit and after spending $$$ at the vet for anti-venom found out his dog would probably survived. Something about a dogs resistance to snakes. I know dogs can eat most anything and be ok. Maybe it's their saliva. It's real thick and maybe the way it coats food accounts for their abilities with rotten food. I have to remove nose snot from my glass door with a razor blade.
I used to wear big jingle bells on my boots when being around possible grizzly's to warn them. I don't know if they would work with snakes. Maybe I'll try it although if they work I'll never know will I.
Whenever I'm in Grizz country,from time to time I find bear"sign"with bells in it.Time to split!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago. Hard gun to find only one store in Salt lake and Provo area had them in stock. Decided I better go with the S&W. There were several reasons first like h.p. said "hey it's a Smith and Wesson" thou they both have life time warranties. The s&w holds 6 shells to the Taurus's 5 plus the ability to shoot both colt and ACP .45 since the colt shell isn't ready available everywhere. It is more accurate than I thought it was going to be. Especially for such a short barrel. Was able to put almost every bullet in a 5 gallon bucket at 35 yards. Like I said I've never owned a handgun of my own, but have shot many over the years belonging to friends and family. Mostly 9mm. The 410 shells seemed to have a larger spread then any 410 shotgun I've shot, but I figured it must be because of the rifled barrel. Very happy with it fun gun to shoot. Hopefully I only have to fire it at targets and nothing living.
IMG_20170407_150729518_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170407_150714537_HDR.jpg
View attachment IMG_20170407_150830482.jpg
IMG_20170407_150750092_HDR.jpg

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys~

I'm moving to Nevada soon and away from the rivers of California. What are your top 5 must-have pieces of advice for the novice desert prospector?

I'm thinking that for this adventure I should consider joining a gold club to help introduce me to this new terrain.

Tips of the trade??!?
you don't need a club or group. Couple Google searches, a couple hours scouting Google maps and then check for claims and land status. lace up the boots and you'll find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions