Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected there over my Christmas break. I hit the area between the 1,000 ft. pier and the 500 ft. pier. I got some signals, but didn't really find anything of nice value. There was one strong signal by a certain tree that I wanted to dig, but never got around to it. I may try it either in a couple weeks when I come home for Spring Break, or maybe next Summer.

The other area I detected was the North Beach area, right by where you have to cross the little water area (or go way down the beach to avoid the water) to get to the other beach side. I found the normal clad, a tent spike, and a stainless spoon & measuring teaspoon. That was really about it. I know the area is hit hard by detectorists though, because I probably saw a handful of them each day I went out.

As far as Mullet Key goes, there is "no detecting" allowed over there whatsoever. Which really stinks because there's several stories of cache's and treasure buried over on that island. From what I've heard, the park rangers monitor all activities there really closely.

Bran <><

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've hunted East beach a few times. Nothing but standard beach junk, clad. You can't go into the water where you would expect to find rings and such. The beach slopes off so slowly that low tide wouldn't help. Along the East Beach side is where an old anchorage was charted. It would be a wonderful place to detect in the water.

1818 navigation chart.

Attachments

• 1818.jpg
    1818.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 644
OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
2 quick questions:

1) So the park service won't allow you to hunt in the water?

2) I thought the entire island on which Fort DeSoto Park lies (from East Beach all the way to North Beach) is Mullet Key (at least according to my maps)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mad4wrecks said:
2 quick questions:

1) So the park service won't allow you to hunt in the water?

2) I thought the entire island on which Fort DeSoto Park lies (from East Beach all the way to North Beach) is Mullet Key (at least according to my maps)

1) No, just from the sand dunes to the edge of the water. Sucks, huh... :-\

2) lol, I'm sorry... I was thinking of Egmont Key, not Mullet Key. My mistake. :D

Bran <><

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer XS and X-Terra 50
I hunted there a couple times last year. The oldest thing I found were what was left of some early 1900s shell casings but not much else. Those came from the beach at the far west end. I had a guy right me and claim to of found a Spanish coin on the part of the beach that allows dogs near the park ranger station. But I think that was bull as when I asked him to send me a pic he said he had already sold it. ::)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Some research I've done has indicated that early explorers had the east side of Mullet Key as a place to get fresh water, just east of the anchorage on the above chart. You can walk around the trails through the woods, but nope, not detecting anywhere except the dry sand on the beach. It's a shame, as I bet some really great stuff is rotting away in the woods and just off shore.

There is absolutely no detecting on Egmont Key, even though they do constant beach nourishment there and mother nature keeps washing it back to sea.

I've asked, over and over again, everyone I run into (to include writing to the folks in Tallahassee) and nobody can give me an answer. I've asked how far from the beach does the park enforce the no detecting limit? Feet, yards, miles? Absolutely no body can give me an answer, but if I anchor just off shore and start detecting they call the marine patrol on me and send the coppers. Even they can't tell me where the park boundary is. We usually end up with, 'Come on buddy, just stop detecting so I can go away and stop asking me questions I can't answer.' (it's all done very politely trying to learn the correct laws so don't jump me about giving MD'ing a bad name) So I find it easier to just go somewhere else, knowing some great stuff is right there, and not going through another safety inspection.

And yep, Mullet Key is the entire land mass that Fort Desoto is on. The entire Key is part of the park. And if your on the north end of north beach, don't go near the raccoons with food. They cornered my wife and cleaned her out. ;D

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Okay, Gentlemen! I am jumping into this, am staying at Indian Shores and going to Fort Desoto tomorrow. Have already emailed them and they said to drop by and get a permit. Lived here for 25 years so know area well. Wish me luck!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gametalman52 said:
Okay, Gentlemen! I am jumping into this, am staying at Indian Shores and going to Fort Desoto tomorrow. Have already emailed them and they said to drop by and get a permit. Lived here for 25 years so know area well. Wish me luck!

It's a lifetime permit (I got mine over the Summer), but their rules designate that you can only detect between the dunes and the tide.
I know there's alot more stuff to find out there, but those rules kinda keep us from them. There's a detecting club that meets out at Bill Jackson's on 19 like once a month. I might try to get in with them, because they got a group hunt approved at the park once before over the Summer, and one woman found some old silvers.

Bran <><

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Was at Bill Jackson's today and got a new scoop. I think it would be worth while for you to it this over a long period of time especially after storms, Too much history not to score. Also the shoreline has moved over the last couple of hunderd years and the park can't control that. If I still lived in Pinellas I would hit it often. Will be doing it down there all day tomorrow.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gametalman52 said:
Was at Bill Jackson's today and got a new scoop. I think it would be worth while for you to it this over a long period of time especially after storms, Too much history not to score. Also the shoreline has moved over the last couple of hunderd years and the park can't control that. If I still lived in Pinellas I would hit it often. Will be doing it down there all day tomorrow.

Cool, let me know if you find anything!
Did you buy your scoop at Bill Jackson's??
If so, I guess it's been many years since I've been in there.

Bran <><

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
got the scoop there, still the same great place. Went down today, but the weather kicked our butts. Only had short time on the main part of north beach. Found a few newer coins and the same ol' trash. Was eyeing the outer white sand at the gulf but it was to nasty to go that far. Had forgotten that Fort Desoto used to be a bombing range and that is the reason for keeping you on the beaches. Was reminded of a story by the ranger that happened when we lived there. Man and son found cannonball and were beating on it with a rock to knock the barnacles off it. Aranger happened by and stopped them. A 750 lb. shell was detonated in 1983 by explosive experts and it was still hot. Staying on Indian Shores and have found a ton of stuff. Just not the gold ring that is there somewhere. The beaches here are not combed.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here is a hot tip that not many people know about. When you go over the last bridge into the park, you will see the launch ramps on the right (heading south). On the left side of the bridge is an old 19th cent. wreck called "The Nickel Wreck." I think they actually built the bridge over part of the wreck. You have to get in the water, but you can find clumps of old buffalo nickels under the sand.

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Been thinking of this post for several days, the reason they do not want you in the water is the currents. A lot of people have drowned because of the currents and large holes there. They want to keep the people in the swimming areas. The other thing is that Fort Desoto used to be a bombing range. In the 80's a father and son found a large bomb and were beaing on it trying to clean the barnacles off of it not knowing what they had. a ranger passed by and stopped them. I lived in Lago at the time and can remember the explosion from it, which the bomb squad handled. It shook the hose 20 miles away. Have talked to the rangers in the last month and they seem to be pretty good people

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I must respectfully disagree about the reason we are not allowed to metal detect in the water.

It has nothing to do with the currents. We are talking about MD'ing in the swimming area. Yes, the rangers are nice folks, it's the rules that are bad.

There are a lot of coastal communities that were used for training during WWII. Both inland and in the water. They are not afraid of me blowing myself up in the swimming area. It may be a handy excuse, but it is not reality.

The same areas we are talking about are also a favorite area for the windsurfers, the guys with kites and boards. Water activities are allowed, sans metal detecting.

The State of Florida is simply afraid that I may find something of some historical value, keep it, and thereby not allow it to rot on the bottom of the bay. There is a perception among states archeologist's that it is better for something to rot buried in the ground or on the sea floor, than be recovered by an 'amateur'.

Once I'm out of the 'controlled' park zone, I can swim in the same tides and currents with my metal detector.

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
It was just a thought. Although I don't think the windsurfers are digging the bottom up with a metal scoop. Artifacts could be found just as easy in the areas that are not off limits, especially after a storm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread