Destructive vs. Non-Destructive cleaning- AUG 05 Coins Mag. Article

Go Bills

Jul 7, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Destructive vs. Non-Destructive cleaning- AUG '05 Coins Mag. Article

Hi y'all,
This is my first time posting and MD newbie, but I have collected coins since i was a child. I was reading an article in the Aug 2005 Coins mag (I'll have to double check that date) on cleaning methods. The author described 2 categories, Destructive vs. Non-Destructive cleaning. He went on to re-state some of the things I've read on the posts, such as rubbing with a soft cloth (that has picked up abrasives) or fingers is actually destructive, bc when viewed with a Lupe, scratch marks can be seen. He also stated that popular baking soda, and CLR and other type solvent are destructive because they take off a thin layer of metal that the coin was minted with.

As for non destructive methods, he listed these 3.

1. Water soak with non detergent soap
2. Acetone
3. Olive Oil soak

Which of these 3 methods works best for you? It was also noted to PAT coins dry with e soft cloth, not to rub. I guess it also comes down to why you collect, if you plan to someday sell or just enjoy your collection. I know that some coin grading agencies do not grade "cleaned" coins. But he did not state ( if i recall correctly) that non destructive coins would be graded by someone like PCGS or NGS.

WARNING I found this on the net regarding acetone

How can acetone affect my health?

If you are exposed to acetone, it goes into your blood which then carries it to all the organs in your body. If it is a small amount, the liver breaks it down to chemicals that are not harmful and uses these chemicals to make energy for normal body functions. Breathing moderate- to-high levels of acetone for short periods of time, however, can cause nose, throat, lung, and eye irritation; headaches; light-headedness; confusion; increased pulse rate; effects on blood; nausea; vomiting; unconsciousness and possibly coma; and shortening of the menstrual cycle in women.

OPINIONS on cleaning???
thanks, ordered an ace250 from eBay based on its high praise throughout the site, can't wait to start finding some of my own coins.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Re: Destructive vs. Non-Destructive cleaning- AUG '05 Coins Mag. Article

Go Bills,

Welcome to the forum. There are a great bunch of people here that can help on all aspects of metal detecting/treasure hunting. Thanks for the info on cleaning. Again, welcome aboard.

RON (PA)

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

What a great and helpful first post.Thanks for the information and the best of luck with your new machine.HH

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome and thanks for the tips on cleaning. I found a product that does pretty good on clad. It is destructive so don't use it on your good coins. It will make clad at least identifiable.. The product is BOOM, advertised on TV by that dude that gets all excited about everything. Just put the coins in a plastic bowl and give 'em a few squirts. Shake it up so they will all get wet. Let sit for about ten minutes and then rinse and rub lightly with a soft cloth. Not sparkling clean but good enough so the bank can tell what it is. Does good on silver colored clad also but don't mix with pennies as they will turn them copper colored. If you let soak too long the product will etch the metal. JIM Oh, forgot, you can get it on TV informercial or at Wal-Mart,

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to the best Treasure Hunting Forum on Earth and Metal Detecting!!
Thanks for the great info on coin cleaning!!

jimmileo said:
advertised on TV by that dude that gets all excited about everything.

LOL!! AHAHAHHAAHHAAHAH!!!! Thats funny!!

HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread