Detecor Newbie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all i have read lots of posts about which metal detector to buy but i still cant make up my mind on what to get. i am looking for an all round one if possible, to use on the beach, old house sites and eventually gold nugget hunting, now i am guessing that there isnt many all round metal detectors so i guess i might have to buy a seperate one for the nugget hunting. Please help me, all advice is appreciated.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"i am looking for an all round one if possible, to use on the beach, old house sites and eventually gold nugget hunting, now i am guessing that there isnt many all round metal detectors so i guess i might have to buy a seperate one for the nugget hunting."

LOL, the only part you left off is the pharse "in the $200 range".

Your question is the same asked by most newbies, including myself ;D and I am still a newbie. Someone with a lot more knowledge then I will respond soon, but you should decide what kind of hunting will be your primary style and buy for it first. If your 200 miles from a beach then there is not much need to be overly concerned for beaches.

Just my personal experience, I ended up buying one, well really 2 now for water and one for land. I just got a Minelab Sov GT as a backup to my Excal for the salt water beaches here in Florida, but it also works very well on land, it has no built in meter (you can add one as an accessory) so you have to learn the sounds.

Got to run, time for work....Good Luck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give Tony a call, he can answer all questions, he is who I just got my Sov and WOT from.

You the man Tony!

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Newbie too. White's prizm series works good for basic all around. Have worked hard packed rocky soil and soft pristine sand. Always find stuff, not necesarily the lost pirate treasure or the valuable civil war stuff....but I'm one of those crazy - dig it all - people.

Hey, it's darn good exercise even if it's a bit sweaty in the summer. :D

OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
well i live on the coast so i want to try beaches, and i want to try around old house sites to, and i want to plan a trip to go nugget hunting , so i wanna do everything, but i am thinking that i should buy a different one just for nugget hunting and have another one for beaches and the old house sites. but for a start i spose that i wont go nugget hunting for a while yet so just one for beaches and old house sites. Would the Ace 250 be a good start??

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Explorer with a 15" WOT for the beach (regular coil for house hunting) & a Excalibur 1000 for the water

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL :D talking some money there erikk for the two combined, but a heck of a combo. ;)

If your not going to go any deeper in the surf then maybe knee deep you could go with the Sovereign GT and a WOT coil for under a $1000. It works great on wet and dry beach sand, and although I haven't used my SOV on land yet, everything I read and was told is it works great, just no screen.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Nothing wrong with the Sov but the first hole you step in and take a dunk or a wave hits you it is toast

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, true that is why I said knee deep or less, so you can see the bottom. Any deeper then that is why I have the Excal.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
I know but accidents happen. I was doing the edge one day with my EX2 watching where I was going unfortunately the guy trying to catch a pass wasn't and I went on my ass in the water. Lucky I was able to keep the detector dry but it was close. Motto: EX2 beach-Excal water

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look into the Cibola for a first machine. I have been very impressed with mine and it is super easy and very lite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread