Detecting a small dump site...help, tips etc

Rawkfist

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very new to the hobby and since it is pretty cold here and the ground is sort of frozen I am trying to find do some research.
I found an old dump site near my house. I knew it was there but didn't think too much of it until I got hooked on MD. Now I have researched it a little bit and saw that it was in use on the map in 1931 (aerial shot shows very worn path leading to a small 100x200' worn pit. so it is quite small)
I do not yet know how old it is except that it was in use in 1931. I know it was not in use when I moved in, nearby, back in 1998. It doesn't appear to have much surface junk. a few broken bottles etc but it has lots of trees growing inside the pit now giving me the indication that dumping there has long since stopped.

First question i have is; I should MD this whole pit right?
second question is: Do you have some tips, suggestions for me when I do this, please? I expect to get lots of junk hits but...

thanks in advance.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the metal detector & use a sifter.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure but it's going to be like any other trashy spot. Sometimes you have to dig alot of junk to get to the good stuff. Best of luck.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
A detector will do no good on a trash dump. Too much iron stuff. Remember, the deeper you dig the older the stuff will be. So go deep for the good stuff. Be careful most everything in there can cut you or hurt you in some way.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sifter for sure.cheap and easy to build and you miss almost nothing.1/4 inch hardware cloth works for me

OP
OP
R

Rawkfist

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok i will build a sifter and check it out. How big of a sifter do you think i should make?

Dennisjf12

Dec 18, 2014
Massillon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer AT, Garrett bags
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say at least 2 ft square, check youtube

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

“slingshot” is correct! When I find an old home dumping ground digging very carefully through the layers of dirt and trash usually yields positive results. You could metal detect around the area to “see” what is underground, you never know. Also, when I work in these areas; I dig everything. A few sites I found jewelry mixed in with the bottles, cans and other unwanted stuff.

Regards,

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have dump site I occasionally work. Mine is half the size. Still, it's quite overwhelming. Difficult to decide where to begin diggin'.
Best so far has been a few academic medals, (site is a long gone school), and bottles dating to 1890s.
This spring I plan to sift. Plans include 1/4" mesh as previously stated.
GL
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread