Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TreasureNet community: there is an old easement in my rural, woodsy neighborhood that apparently had a power line running through it at one point. Today it's completely grown back into woods, but using old aerial photography on NETR Online ? Historic Aerials I can see where it used to run. A long portion of it runs through what is now a 900 acre nature preserve that surrounds a reservoir; there aren't any restrictions (apparently) on the use of detectors in the preserve, and my son and I have poked around randomly in that woods, finding primarily old shotgun headstamps (side note: turtlefoot's database is awesome for identification; our oldest find is from the late 1800's)

So the question is: is it worth it to walk the old route of the power line? I'm sure that the answer is, "it depends" on other options in the area. Let's say the options aren't that great, and the convenience of this area being in the backyard is a bonus. But I guess what I'm really wondering is if others have used this approach (detecting old power line runs, or even current ones) and if so, what kind of stuff do you find? Your experience is what I'm really looking for.
If no one's ever found anything, I may look elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Brian

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
remember its not what the land is now , or even what it was a short while back but what it has been over many years that can make a place "worth while" place to hunt --the general history of the area can be a bit tip off --was there American rev war activity , civil war troop emcampment areas --old houses or taverns was the easement along a old road or trading trail (many were placed upon old dirt roads or trails since they followed the "path of least resistance / solid ground".. )

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's in your back yard you can wonder over there for an hour or two and you will have your answer right away! I have found some of my best finds in places they shouldn't be. Heck, it's free and good exercise. :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't think there's any reason to expect old targets along "power lines", any-more-so than anywhere else. The rule of thumb for where's-good-to-detect, is where people played (recreation), spent $$ (stage stops, saloons, etc...), slept/camped, or habitated (homes, cellar holes, foundations, etc...). And I do not see any of those criteria as being present at old power lines. The short-time that it took to erect them, for a possible worker loss, it not enough to merit detecting. Any-more-so than any other place that people work for a short period (putting up a fence, etc...) is worth it.

Hence, there would need to be more to past-activity, than merely a power pole.

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I might take Rob's advice and get out and get some exercise, but based on Ivan and Tom's feedback I will not expect to find much.
I will keep searching for historically active locales near me.

Good luck out there.
- Brian

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tom. Unless you know of some other "better" use of that land sometime in the past, it's very unlikely it will produce anything of value.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Powerlines are evidence of people, but generally not where someone goes in and out of their pockets or carries out transactions. But depending on what you're looking for - as others have noted - they get you in to where older sites may have been. And someone may have dropped a coin fishing a cartridge out of their pocket when hunting.

You might find some old copper wire - which is nothing to sneeze at. But you might also be asked how you came up with it when you try and sell it.

Remember too - the "easement" is between the utility and the property owner. It is not license for the general public to trespass if the owner is against it. Hereabouts they are kind of "public domain" but that is not always the case. I have a high-tension line that cuts across the back of my property and have found some odd bits (a brass valve, chain, pocket knife, farming and logging machinery iron bits, etc.). Standing right under the lines will test the EMI shielding of your detector for certain.

HPIM1013.jpg

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the additional comments.

- Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread