Detecting at schools question

MD'ing Zombie

May 29, 2011
Altoona PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the town i live in well the high school is in the middle of town. not much grass to it but some. http://aahs.aasdcat.com/ small pic on the site.. well how do i go about detecting a school. do i just go and start and see how things go? do i seek permission? big problem is this is the kind of school where all doors are locked and they have security and all. want to do it before school starts.

so how do you all go about working a school???? :help:

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless there is an ordnance against detecting in your city or county, then it should be fair game. Take note of any signage forbidding trespassing.

I love detecting schools, and I have never been "harassed" or asked to leave by school officials or law enforcement.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Zombie, I agree with world-talker and lake-monster. Do you see others using the grounds after hours? Ie.: jogging the track, basketball, etc....? If so, why do you think you need to ask? And this is true even if there are fences (obligatory in today's litigical society) that are getting more and more common around school turf. There is usually always still a turn-style, or gate with gap-open, and ........ as said ....... people still tend to use the school yard after school. Thus consider detecting no different.

Naturally, since our hobby is an admitted oddity (you know "gee, what's the guy with the geigor-counter thingy doing over there? :tongue3:), you need to use due discrection. Avoid busy-bodies who might draw connotations. This goes for anywhere mind you, not just schools. Ie.: go after 5pm, when schools out and staff has cut out for the day, and I bet no one cares less.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
With schools it's 9 times out of 10 you will get a no if you ask permission. I've never been kicked out of one knock on wood. But I find it better to just do it and please for heavens sake be respectful of the property.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got back from old schoolyard,2 wheaties,1915,1935and a button.Some irresponsible SOB looks as if he used a small shovel,dug holes everywhere,left his trash,put it in my pouch.Did the best I could trying to fill back in,ground was fairly dry so I recon there's gonna be a lot of brown spots!!!!!I ever see him I just might ACCIDENTLY trip over his machine!ALWAYS FILL YOUR HOLES!!!!!!

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's city property I detect until I'm told I can't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread