Detecting Austin Area

digincali

Mar 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
I moved to Austin recently and was really bummed out to learn about the anti-detecting ordinance in city parks and schools. This was never a problem in California, even the grounds keepers in the parks were friendly and even helpful at times. I guess I just got spoiled. Is there anyone on the forum from the ATX area with any tips or tricks? Are any of the outlying towns less concerned? I'm not expecting anyone to give up their favorite spots, but I'm just dying to get out and do some diggin. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks and happy hunting everyone.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Several of the lakes are down real low, though they are raising back up now, but to my knowledge it is legal to detect them. I know that the boat docks have probably been hit already as well as the faux beach near Buchanan Dam. Careful about State parks and County Parks as they are off limits to detecting as well.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live in southern California, and I too NEVER had a problem metal detecting public areas. In Austin however, bums, pan handlers and homeless people are treated with higher regard than metal detectorists.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
cedarratt said:
Several of the lakes are down real low, though they are raising back up now, but to my knowledge it is legal to detect them. I know that the boat docks have probably been hit already as well as the faux beach near Buchanan Dam. Careful about State parks and County Parks as they are off limits to detecting as well.
LCRA (Lower Colorado Authority) Doesn't allow metal detecting around any of their lands or lakes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread